I just completed my workbench build that I started last November. I managed a few hours here and there, but then again it's about the journey and all I learned in the process.

I did have a build thread started with a few updates, but I decided I would spend the time on the bench, rather then constantly updating the thread. I've had many compliments from non-woodworkers and they all say it's too nice to work on or it's a piece of furniture that belongs inside! Yes, I admit that I've done 'upgrades' that were not necessary for a workbench, but I used this build as a way to try out things and learn along the way. It's not perfect, I did mess up a few things, but I learned from each one of them. I got some good practice on inlaying!

On to the details. As you can see from the pictures I used Benchcrafted hardware. As a matter of fact I purchased the kit with the plans. I did make modifications to the plans, mostly downsizing it just a little bit, but it is a little higher than the plans call for since I'm tall. It's about 81 inches long and about 23 inches deep. The cross section of the legs are just a bit smaller than the plans call for and the top is 3 inches thick vs. the 4 the plan calls for. The wood is Soft Maple and Walnut. I found both a pleasure to work with. It was finished with a coat Minwax Antique Oil followed with paste wax (except the top).

I put a matching Walnut breadboard end on the left side even though there is no functional need for it.. (More practice on the large dovetails!). I added lots of Walnut trim and inlay work throughout the workbench. The board in the 'split' can be flipped over. One side leaves it flush with the top and the other side is raised and can be used as a plane stop. The leg vise is faced with leather as are each of the bench dogs.

It has been a lot of fun building the workbench. I'm close to finishing up the matching Moxon vise then It'll be on to the real projects!

Dennis

IMG_1194.JPGIMG_1193.jpgIMG_1200.JPGIMG_1204.jpgIMG_1207.jpgIMG_1208.jpgIMG_1210.JPG