Thread: Question about table saw

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question about table saw

Hello all!
    Let me start by saying that this is a great site and is my usual "go-to" site for most things woodworking, so thank you! I have been woodworking on and off since 2009 after seeing a cool log cabin bird feeder that a friend made. Now woodworking is something that I really enjoy and get great satisfaction out of and also use as an excuse to by cool toys.
    I am a veteran and hold a bachleors degree in computer science, which I presently do not use since I find more enjoyment out of working on remodeling rather than sitting in a small office behind a computer all day. Anyways, on with it...
    My question is about a table saw.
    It is a MiniMax SC3. A friend of mines grandfather passed away and I have the opportunity to purchase this saw. I want to be fair but I have no expierence of what these things cost. I have seen price ranges from 1500 on up.
    The saws slide had some 1x10 wolmenized wood pieces on it and became very rusty to the point of almost being pitted, although it seemed to clean up well. The bearings are worn out (I think) but it still slides easily. However there seems to be a little 'slop' in it. The table top was also rusty but cleaned up very well and shows no sign of pitting. It also runs very smoothly and cuts great.
    I know nothing about this kind of saw. This would be a huge upgrade from my current tablesaw which is just a rigid. This saw is huge and takes up a lot of space in my shop which is only 24'x24'.
    What do you guys think?
    Attached Images Attached Images