I wrote a note about this in a thread about broken trunions on a drill press then thought maybe someone who plays with metalworking might find it useful.

I've always found big bench vises way too high for comfortable work when actually mounted on a work bench. Years ago I welded a steel stand from square tubing for a big pipe and bench vise, just 16" high so the top of the vise is 28" from the floor. I added a 3/16" top for mounting the vise and horizontal pieces to the legs so it won't be tippy.

vise_stand.jpg

The height is perfect for me for drilling, tapping, pounding, welding, cutting, filing, and grinding with hand and power tools. Doesn't take up space on the workbench. When welding and grinding the sparks and debris are on the floor instead of the bench. Another advantage is it is easy to skid across the concrete floor to reposition as needed for long or awkwardly shaped pieces or haul where needed.

I used this vise mounted on a workbench for years and this is SO much better! I'm sure lots of people have a vise mounted low but I've never seen one.

JKJ