Thread: Live center help!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Live center help!

I have this live center and it's causing a problem. https://woodworker.com/live-center-assembly-2mt-mssu-134-792.asp
    Photo below - it's lableled Powermatic but looks like a Oneway.

I am turning travel coffee mugs with the stainless insert for an upcoming art/crafts fair. After drilling and hollowing the interior to fit the stainless insert I use the live center for support the mug when turning the outside to final shape and thickness. When using the large cone for support it will start to unscrew from the center while the lathe is spinning. If I don't catch it in time it can unscrew enough to jam into the mug further causing it to crack the wall of the mug.

If it's right hand thread and the lathe is running in that same direction you would think the cone would just tighten more onto the live center but instead it starts to unscrew. I use the rod that came with it to tighten it as much as I can by hand start turning again. And, in a very short while it starts to unscrew again. This has gone on as long as I can remember owning over the last 3-4 years. But since I rarely used it I didn't think much of it. Now that I am trying to get a dosen mugs ready for this craft show it's really annoying me - especially if it causes the blank to crack.

I'm pretty sure it's not bad internal bearing in the live center as the bearings don't make any noise when spinning the live center.

any ideas on how to correct the problem (I'm on disability so buying a Robust live center isn't an option :-) )

Thanks
    Ricc
    IMG_1138.jpgIMG_1137.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ricc Havens; 05-10-2018 at 2:18 PM. Reason: adding more info