Thread: Passage Gate Longevity

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Passage Gate Longevity

Hi all,

Im seeking advice on a gate im doing for a new client. I am remaking an existing gate that is not holding up. Its made out of cedar. It has rotted through in areas where water is trapped due to the design/build. The client would also like to get rid of the oval window, so that simplifies things. Planning on building it out of Mahogany.

I am familiar with the build process of outdoor gates from my background but im by no means an expert. I also am struggling on good design. My question is, how would you go about building the gate pictured to ensure it lasts 5-10 years?

I am planning on doing M&T, a pitch on the top of the lock rail and bottom rail with birdsmouthed Xterra panels, epoxy glue up, and epoxy on the top/bottoms of exposed boards. Trying to avoid water traps in the joinery where it meets the panels.

Also, im not sure the best way to joint the radius top rail to the stiles. I havent done a gate with such a significant radius before. I've seen a mortise and tenon done on an angle before but ive not built one myself. Would you glue up a few large boards and cut the radius out of that? Or would you do it in segments with an exposed joint at the peak?

I know its a lot of questions but just seeking any guidance at all so that I am confident in my design.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images