Hi Guys,

I bought a grizzly wood tap and die recently (looks just like the one woodcraft sells) in 1 inch. I am wanting to use it to make a moxon vice tomorrow.

It works well enough and after adjusting the cutter a bit I got the threads the right tightness in the taped hole.

Here is the problem though, there is a lot of chip out / tear out along the threads. I did sharpen the cutter which helped a lot and also used mineral oil on the dowl which helped a bit, but its not as nice a result as I would have wanted. Anyway I had some thoughts but wanted to see if anyone else already had this sorted out.

1) I sharpened to 1200 on dmt diamond stone, I dont have a finer stone yet (although one is on its way right now and will be here mid next week) I could strop it though it that will make a big difference
2) I could try soaking in mineral oil so it absorbs more, or try another type of oil
3) I tired oak and poplar because that is what was stocked at menards, oak was better but is there another type of wood I should look for?
4) They just might not get much better with this type of tool...

Anyway appreciate any help

Thanks