Thread: Under-the-stairs Storage

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Under-the-stairs Storage

I know I've been incognito lately so I'm attempting a comeback and to show you I wasn't just lazying about and such, I bring a project!

IMG_1029.jpg
    This is the before shot from like 2007. I don't have one totally finished with trim and such.

IMG_1524.jpg
    I removed the superfluous drywall to remember what I had to work with. Back in 2009 or so, I redid my whole garage. That coil of wire a sharp-eyed feller might see is from then--I tossed it in there as I had access below the landing separating the two stair cases. The space is my little cubby-hole in the garage. Now that wire would finally come in handy!

IMG_1529.jpg
    Pulling superfluous studs and adding in a makeshift beam that probably wasn't necessary but made it easier to build out the space for drywall later on, was next on the list.

IMG_1530.jpg
    Got 'er wired up with a nice box for the LOML's vacuum cleaner (ain't I sweet?! Hey, this wall has needed an outlet since the day we moved in in 1999!) and all drywalled in ready to go.

IMG_1531.jpg
    A shot of the underside where the real noodling took place. I piled a few moving blankets on the floor there and stared up at the underside of the stairs and monkeyed around for a quite a spell trying to figure out how to support a sheet of sheetrock coplanar 'n stuff. It turned out fine in the end after a few trial and error sessions.

IMG_1550.jpg
    Weeeeellllllllllllllll after some further thinking and talking to the wife, I decided to redo the original thought of the step in the drywall to contain the 'drawer front' of the sliding storage box. It would be much cleaner and easier this way. There went $10 worth of 1/2" rock down the tubes!!

So next was mudding, taping, skip-trowel finish and some paint and then onto the storage bins!
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 01-04-2018 at 2:19 PM.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.