Thread: Table saw safety reminder

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Marty View Post
    Most hobbyists I know have the blade guard removed on their table saw. I dislike a blade guard myself. Gets in the way.
    I have come across my share of youtube videos in which the blade guard was seen removed. Yes, watcher beaware.

I already explained in another post that my guard is removed only when making certain cuts (e.g. dados or using the cross cut sled), otherwise it stays there 24/7. Why? Apart from safety, my SawStop blade guard is also a dust guard. If the guard is removed, the dust collection efficiency will be reduced.

Some people say the guard hinders the sighting. Sighting should be completed before the saw is turned on. That is, the blade height and the fence are first set, then the blade guard is lowered and the saw is powered on and the cut is made. There is nothing to see when you make a cut, except seeing to it that the stock is held tight to the fence. You shouldn't be paying attention to the spinning blade covered by the guard, but the fence.

A lot of people can't afford the SawStop (perhaps until its safety patents have expired and there is a mass production) and they should use whatever safety features that are available on their saws including the blade guards. Statistics don't lie in this case: 1 tablesaw injury every 9 minutes.

Oh yes, someone would sure share something like "I know a guy who smoked for 50 years and did not die from lung cancer." Would you be as lucky as that guy, if you were considering whether or not to smoke? When it comes to safety, I don't rely on luck.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 12-07-2017 at 10:31 AM.