Thread: Roubo Bench build

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Roubo Bench build

I've been lurking for a while now and learning a lot from this great community, but its time to come out of the shadows and get something done. I might as well go big and my first post while I'm at it!

I started acquiring some tools last year, starting with a table saw as well as many of the other smaller tools necessary to do woodworking projects. I started on a couple of small boxes just to learn to use the various tools prior to working on larger more complex projects around my home. Making a mistake on a small box doesn’t cost as much as making a mistake on ¾” mahogany plywood!

I quickly realized trying to cut wood on the table saw and assemble the project there too was not ideal. I needed a bench. The other thing I’m missing is a vise. I know, I’ll build a bench with a vise, brilliant idea! So I started doing some research into benches like the Roubo, Nicholson, Black and Decker and even the 2x4 and plywood bench. For me, I liked the Roubo. But even looking at the ‘Roubo’ style there are many variations. So I started taking note of the various features I liked and thought that I would use. You know that divider on the ‘split top’ design that has the gap for tools, not for me. I thought it would be a pain to remove the tool whenever you needed to flip the divider. How about round vs square dogs? Square for me. I also researched vise types as well as buy vs make, I decided on buying a kit. I really like the Benchcrafted vises and it seems everyone has nothing but nice things to say about them. In the end I purchased the Benchcrafted bench kit with the leg vise, tail vise, plans and hardware.

I made a few changes to the plans and updated them. My bench will be 81” long (6” shorter), 22 ¼” wide (one 8/4 board narrower), and 36” tall (1” higher). The top will be 3” thick instead of 4” and the legs will be 4 3/8” wide instead of 5 3/8”. The split in the top will be towards the back giving me ~18” from the front to the plane stop. I calculated all the new measurements for the rails and other items and printed a new set of plans to go off of.

Here's all my lumber, Soft Maple and some Walnut for the end caps and accents.

IMG_0511r.jpg

Yes, I did say end caps. I will put one one the left too, even though there's no functional need for it. I figured I could use the practice. I will also add a few other walnut accents here and there to try different things and get more practice in.

Here are the vise parts:

IMG_0513r.jpg

Now to start making sawdust.

Dennis
    Last edited by Dennis Tebo; 10-16-2017 at 12:08 PM.