Something got me to thinking about bench chisels, not a clue what but here are some thoughts. While there are an almost unlimited number of types of chisels the one type that is used the most are bevel edge bench chisels. I would guess about 90% of my chisel use is of the beveled edge chisels. Some of the others are fishtail, pig stickers, firmer, slash mortise, crank neck, and so on. I have most of 'em and each has their use but the bevel edge chisel is the most versatile and is usually the go to chisel. I know preaching to the choir but bear with me for a sec.

Because of that versatility a good bevel edge chisel is very personal, what works for one woodworker may not work for the next. That is one of the reasons asking for chisel suggestions is a waste of time. My criteria I expect is about the same as anyone else's. It must fit my hand. How can you tell if it fits with out holding in hand and doing some chisel work. It must be "balanced". Same story, the only way to know if it is balanced is to pare and chop with it. Next is an area where I expect some push back. The blade must be made of a steel that will hold an edge at any sharpening angle from around 15 degrees to 35 degrees and is easy to sharpen on any stone. That need eliminates any chisel with a A-2 blade. Some of the other things that are good to have is a narrow land and a thin blade. I like bench chisels to be around 250mm (9"-10") long with blade and handle of near equal length. Paring chisels of course are much longer but the handles should have the same shape and cross section as the bench chisels.

Here is a photo of some of my bench chisels: The daily goto is the Ashley Iles third from the left. I expect the Pheil next to it will take over some of the daily use as well. The Japanese chisels are works of art and wonderful to use but day to day I find I reach for the AI chisels first. I love the Union Hardware chisels on the right side for their very thin blades and the Freud chisel on the end has been with me as long as I've worked wood.

ken