After reading all of the pros and cons of building my own Lichenberg machine, I decided I did not want to take a chance on getting the wrong neon transformer and possibly connecting the wires incorrectly. Plus, based on everyone’s warning about electrocution etc. I was very reluctant to take a chance on a self-built machine. (I didn’t want my wife to inherit all of my tools just yet.) Thus, I bit the bullet and purchased the Conestoga Lichtenberg Wood Burner. I have practiced on some scrap wood and also used it on a junk bowl and HF. From these experiences, there are a few observations that I made that might be of interest or help to those looking at doing Lichtenberg wood burning.

1. The Conestoga machine is well built and easy to use. It also was designed with safety as one of it major priorities.
  2. I have an old 2x4 and plywood platform with a rubber mat that I stand on when I’m using it.
  3. The foot pedal is a very effective and useful on/off switch when using the burner.
  4. Like any piece of equipment or machine that is dangerous to operate, be sure and follow all of the safety rules. (Think about when you first learned how to drive, use a table saw, bandsaw or lathe. You were scared to death that you might get hurt or even hurt or kill someone else. But now you are more comfortable using those items but still have the necessary respect for the piece of equipment to insure the safety of yourself and others.)
  5. The electricity can arc between the two probes while on the wood. The current will jump above the wood and create a singed area below the arced area.
  6. You can also get some singed markings around the finer detailed burning because of some arcing as well.
  7. After burning your desired pattern, be sure and wash off the burning with a stiff nylon brush and soap and water. This helps get ride of some of the burnt ash and will keep any fine black powder from getting in the un-burnt wood grain.
  8. I’m still working on learning how much of the baking soda solution to put on and how wet/dry the wood should be before putting the probes on the wood and turning on the burner.

I have attached some pictures of a HF I burned. The wood is spalted sycamore and I used some Inlace turquoise to fill some bug holes. It is 4 ¼”W x 6 5/8”H. In addition to some profiles of the HF I have included some close ups of the burnings.

I took the HF to Kiwanis the other day to show one of my woodworking friends and one of the other members that had commissioned me to do a turning for her fell in love with it and said, she wanted to commission me to do a larger one for her.

C&C welcomed.

IMG_9135.jpg IMG_9137.jpg IMG_9143.jpgIMG_9144.jpg