Thread: Wooden Handled Claw Hammer Joy

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wooden Handled Claw Hammer Joy

Hi All,

A few weeks ago I went to an estate sale, and paid a couple of bucks for a claw hammer with a wooden handle. I wish I had had more time to look, but was in too much of a hurry, because he had a bunch of hammers, and they were asking $2 each for them. More about that estate sale rust hunt some other time, but for now, the hammer.

It has been YEARS since I used a wooden handled hammer, as I have a framing hammer and standard weight hammer with steel and rubber handles that are basically professional carpenters hammers, that I have had over 40 years, and use regularly.

However, I was working on a small project this evening and needed to use a punch to make starts for drilling, so grabbed the "new" wooden handled hammer.....what a joy the thing was to use. I had forgotten how pleasant a wooden handled hammer can be to use. No vibration, and it feels great in the hand. I will definitely be using it a lot more, especially for fine woodworking projects.

I think it is a pretty good hammer, a Bluegrass, is in good shape, and has a handle that looks almost unused.

I see why guys who write about woodworking like wooden handled hammers.

Do many of you use one, or mostly the steel or composition handles?

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 10-04-2016 at 9:35 PM.