Thread: Restoring old Redwood- resin removal and live edge help

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Restoring old Redwood- resin removal and live edge help

I have come across an old redwood bar that I have since taken apart and begun to work on. The biggest piece is the piece I am most excited about as well as the squared looking piece. I am going to list the problems I have with the pieces and then the questions I have.
    IMG_5142.jpg
    Problems
    • The pieces have this terrible resin on them that is hard to remove. I destroyed the back of this piece and am planning on using the opposite side which is just as good. However I want to remove all this junk to have a nice finish.
    • IMG_5145.jpg
    • On this bigger piece, I have a really cool live edge that I am planning on utilizing, but I need advice on getting rid of the rot and cleaning it up IMG_5143.jpg
    • On the smaller square piece I have a cool live edge and am interested in making prestiene.
    • IMG_5146.jpg

QUESTIONS
    1. How do I remove the resin
    2. How to I preserve my life edges
    3. How should I progress through sanding
    4. A lot of the pieces have a natural curve on the surface, should I make them all perfectly level surfaces? or keep the natural curve.
    5. Please trow any ideas you have at me. I need advice and tips to help make this project killer.

Below is the stack of wood from the leftover bar. Ideas are welcome.......
    IMG_5154.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Nick Ahrold; 10-02-2016 at 11:43 PM.