Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
I agree! Those lights are very dim compared to some options out there for sure. You have super tall ceilings - This is not a 12' ceiling (much less 8'-10') you are dealing with.

I think you are really wanting some T5HO lights. Some may say T8HO but taking into account your 3200sqft and a rough stab at 400 sqft per fixture you are looking at a minimum of 8 six bulb fixtures at about 3 amps each which will be a couple circuits. I am actually running 8 now on two circuits in a 40X64X16 in two rows of 4 ea and plan to add two more rows of four lights on a total of 4 lighting circuits. It is super nice having good lighting and I want no issue seeing anywhere. I am running Howard ballasts/fixtures purchased from corslighting on ebay in jacksonville IL using the 5000k lamps. I really like the light and so has everyone that has been in there. Cost is about $110 ea with bulbs shipped.
Thanks, Mike. I really like what you've done with your shop so far. I will check out the lights you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg R Bradley View Post
My original post was assuming you would mount the lights at 12-14'. If you wish to mount them at 16', that does open up the 4xT5HO as a reasonable option. They basically have the same light out of a smaller area so they glare more at lower heights. Being a bit smaller and lighter they are easier to mount. At 16' either is a good option. I mounted the 167 6xT8 units in the big building at 28' and they work fine at that height.

85 avg Lumens per watt - 216 watt for 18,200 lumens: 4 T5HO using high output long life bulbs
89 avg Lumens per watt - 192 watt for 17,200 lumens: 6 T8 using high output long life bulbs
88 avg Lumens per watt - 128 watt for 11,200 lumens: I-Beam LED $199 at HD.

All these are using average lumens which is after 30,000 hours of use at 12 hours per day. T5HO specs drop below 95 degrees, certainly not a problem near the ceiling around here.

ALL of these require 2' clearance to ceiling. LED also spec 104 degree max.

T5HO lose the ability to turn half of the bulbs on and then turn on the other half when/where you want more light. May be a big deal for some, certainly for me. Could be a huge money saver if you have skylights. OK is sunny a lot, right?

You mentioned trying some. You probably need to try 2 mounted at your intended height and separated by your planned row distance. Pretty easy with a forklift.
Greg, all good points. I think I'll stay with the T8 or T5 High Bays. I've been looking at specs on them and they seem to be rated for 15-40 ft ceilings so no worries as far as having a really high ceiling. Thanks for the information you provided, very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
That's what my Wife and I said in 1980 when we decided to build her pottery shop first, and live in it for a while. We've been here for coming up on 36 years.
Tom, I can see us doing that too! I think that's very cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Adams View Post
I just built A 50'X80'X14' new shop. My electrician had the lighting designed. I have 18- 6 bulb t-5 high bay fixtures.

The light output is awesome. I would have went LED if there would have been rebates available to help with the cost. Unfortunately, the utility here only offers rebates on replacing existing fixtures.
Thanks for chiming in Brad. I will take your experience into consideration when designing my grid. I may go to a local lighting supply store and see if they provide any kind of design services. I plan to do all the electrical myself from the main panel out to the lights, fans, and outlets.