I am sharing this only to help those who haven't been through what I went through and to maybe get you to think about the "what if".

Spent the entire time in the wood shop this weekend...wife went to her mothers. Today, as I always do, was cutting down a 4/4 rough cut piece of poplar and the board began to bind in the table saw. The board was approx 11 inches wide and an 8 feet long. I was cutting it in half and about half way through the cut, it bound up. (i need to do some research on how to properly cut rough sawn lumber). Long story short, the board began to "burn" and smoke was created. I turned the board around, got through the cut and went to the jointer.

Now at the jointer and finished my first board, I turn to get the next board and see smoke in the wood shop. I swear, I thought I had a fire. I immediately thought that I had caught the sawdust below the cabinet table saw on fire. I immediately grabbed my fire extinguisher and then looked at the saw puzzled...remember...things are happening fast, how do I get to the inside of the saw.

I did manage to remember the door that covers the motor, finally swung it open and thankfully no fire. It really woke me up to the fact that I need to be better prepared. I am going to get more fire extinguishers this week and I have also taken time to look at my machines and try to memorize how to get to the guts.

I know I'm rambling but I thought this might make a point to someone else to take safety seriously. I will also not go to the shop without a phone, just in case I need 911.