IMG_1754 copy.jpg

So I don't know why the system turned that on its side, but oh well.

First of all: HEY! Been creeping this forum for a little while, getting tips and knowledge. Thank you all.

So I've run into a small (I hope) problem that (I hope) you guys can (I hope!) help me fix.

Here's the scenario.

3-inch slab of Sapele. Beeeeyoootiful wood.

Put in some walnut keys to secure some natural cracks in the wood. Sanded the tops of both pieces to 220.

Decided to use Waterlox Original (lot low VOC).

Followed the directions from Waterlox on the first two coats: use a natural brush, apply liberally. Things went fairly well. First coat totally soaked in, surface was darker but totally dull still.

2nd coat, brush, liberal application (following guidelines as to how much). mostly soaked in, a few semi-shiny spots as it was building a bit. Noticed a few bubbles in the 2nd coat, but nothing bad.

Because of the bubbles, decided on the third coat to do a rub application--lint-free cloth inside a pantyhose, dipped in Waterlox (thinned with 10% mineral spirits). Went on fine. Much thinner coat here, just enough to wet the wood a bit. Rubbed it in. Went really well, getting a smoother finish now. I'm NOT going for a glass-like glossy finish. But I do want it sealed (this will be a kitchen island top).

Figured one more thin coat would probably do it. Applied just like the third, but I noticed that in places...as I applied it...the waterlox kinda puddled up immediately. As you'd see if you put water on clean glass.

I thought "well crap", but was already in it. Plus, I assumed (wrongly as it turns out) that the Waterlox would even out/run to low spots and once it set, the "puddles" would be gone.

In some places, yes. In most, no.

So I'm left with a slightly bumpy surface. You really can only see it in just the right light, but I want this thing to come out right. So I've stopped work (this was 4 days ago) and I'm figuring out what to do now.

Should I dry sand it once it cures?

Should I wet sand it w/Mineral Spirits now? Or wait?

I do NOT want to build multiple more coats to even it out, as it'll be way too thick at that point.

I'd prefer not to sand it all off and start over. There's gotta be a way to get these "puddles" gone, even if it's removing SOME of the previous coats.

Do I just strip w/mineral spirits or something? What do I do here?

My goal, again, is a semi-gloss at most finish. I want it to feel like wood still, but be protected since it'll be a kitchen work space.

Help?