Thread: A fence for all tools?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

A fence for all tools?

Whether it be a job site tablesaw, a circular saw, a router, Clamped to a bandsaw. Just three pieces of scrap wood forms this jig. Had a friend that needed something better than the OEM fence on his DeWalt job site 10" table saw. Cobbled up a fence in .....maybe two hours.

Had a piece of scrap plywood, about 1/2" thick. It did have a nice 90 degree corner, and a Factory edge. Cut a angled line to form a triangle of sorts. Laid that on his saw. Found an Oak scrap and planed it down to match the space between the plywood and the OEM fence rail. Moved the plywood until it was aligned with a miter slot, and clamped the oak cleat in place. Couple of screw laying around made the connection. Found a straight pine 1x2, well, as straight as I could fine, no twist. Laid itonto the flipped over triangle. using the Factory edge as a guide, attached the "high" fence along the long edge with a few more screw. Important that these were sunk into the plywood, didn't want any scratches from them. Set things up on the saw, marked where a cut was to be, and set the fence with one C clamp to the OEM rail. Checked for alignment and clamped a second C clamp to hold things in place. First cut was better than the OEM fence! Fine tuned the "rub" side of the NEW fence with some sandpaper to smooth the side out. IMAG0142.jpg Useful to paint small objects, too This is the operator's viewIMAG0141.jpg the hardwood cleat, that you can size to fit...whatever. You can see the screws for the fence. Do not glue the pine in place, you can then add a taller fence if needed, or no fence for clearence reasons. IMAG0140.jpgSide view. I have clamped this to some 1x6, and ran a circular saw along it to make rip cuts with. Fence on the blade side of the saw, allow for the shoe's width between the saw blade and the fence. I have also set up for Dados with a handheld router by usung this fence. My old bandsaw did not have a big enough table, but others could use it. Add a tall fence strip to it, and resaw? IMAG0143.jpgMaybe a dozen 1" screws, and three pieces of scrap wood. As for that Walnut board it is sitting on? Well, under it are a few toys, er , TOOLSIMAG0144.jpgThis also serves as a place to sit down while using the grinder behind it, or i can turn around and sit at the workbench and do a bit of saw work. In a pinch, it can act as a saw bench, too How accurate is this fence? As accurate as YOU make it.IMAG0006.jpgand a shot of it in action, one line is the cut line, fence is sitting on it's own layout line, and the two c clamps. A third clamp holds this to my workbench end. Set so the saw blade misses the bench, and the waste under the saw just drops away.
    Last edited by steven c newman; 07-06-2014 at 11:23 AM.