Thread: Laser Advice - Glass V Metal C02 & Machine Choice

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Laser Advice - Glass V Metal C02 & Machine Choice

Hi guys.

New to the forum and looking to get a laser engraver, as a bit of background we manufacture parts in-house that are anodized Aluminium. We would like to start putting our own logo's on the parts now and would happily send them out to get done but the problem is lead time - we just cannot afford for items to be away for a week for ano, then a week for laser etc so we want to do it in house. I hope you can help me with a few questions:

- What is the difference in terms of performance between the glass and metal tubed c02 lasers? - We wont run the laser 24/7 maybe a few hrs a day.

I ask this as i had a demo of two machines, one a 80w glass laser, the other a 40w metal, the quick demo led to the glass lasers engraving being 'rough' or blurry and patchy in colour in places while the metal laser was much more 'in focus' and had an even colour - the metal machine is twice the price.

- Machine choice? - We have around 8k to spend (we are in the UK) and our logo is simple solid text, i have also had requests to cut 3-4mm plywood so would need to be able to handle this too, i assume a 40w machine can do this (speed not paramount as this is a secondary job)

So, in short, we are after an affordable engraver that can engrave out logo onto anodised aluminium and occasionally cut wood, easy to use software is also nice the printer driver type i was shown at the demo looked very good.

Thanks in advance for any replies. Rick
    Last edited by Rick Hughes; 02-26-2014 at 3:26 AM.