I have just turned my first handles for a couple Thompson gouges I received at Christmas. The turning of the handle for the 3/8 detail gouge went well but I'm not happy with the walnut I used because it feels light and I may have been a bit short on the handle as I modeled it after the Sorby 1/2 spindle gouge I have but did not fully appreciate that the Thompson has 8" of gouge extending and the Sorby has only 6" so I think the handle should have been longer. I'll see how I like it.
I am pleased with the maple handle for the 1/2" bowl gouge but I'm having trouble with the hole to place the gouge. I read that a brad point drill tended to run straighter and I have drilled a 1/2" hole but can't get the gouge more than half way seated. Its a very tight fit and air compression may be the problem and this would only be more problematic with some epoxy on board. What size drill do others use and where can i buy drills larger than 1/2". I would also need larger drills for a 5/8" gouge or scraper with a larger tang (next Christmas).
I'd appreciate the knowhow from those that been there/done that.
Wells