Thread: Choosing the right exhaust blower and air pump/compressor

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Choosing the right exhaust blower and air pump/compressor

Hi guys,

I am getting a new 280W laser cutter that according to its manufacturer requires an air pump that can supply "Dry air, flow rate > 20L/min Gas pressure between 4 ~ 6 Kg (0.4 ~ 0.6 Mpa)."
    How do I find one that will meet these requirements? I guess the small and quit ones used for airbrushing won't be sufficient because they cannot do more than 40PSI. What else I can look at apart from 10/20L tank compressor used for spray guns that is usually very loud? I need something that is not loud and can run at least 2-3 hours non stop.

And how can I calculate that some particular air compressor can deliver such pressure through 8mm hose all the time?

And regarding exhaust system, the laser comes with 8" outlet and 2HP blower with the same diameter both for inlet and outlet . Does it mean that I must run a hose outside that is at least 8" in diameter to get airflow working very good? What if I add reducer after the blower and run a 6" hose instead of 8"

From my experience with dust extraction it seems that suction gets weaker if an inlet diameter is
    reduced. At least with my 4" dust extractor and a CNC Router suction drops at the end because I use a 1.25" hose connected to a dust shoe. I would not reduce the inlet diameter but there is not enough room for 4" hose on the dust shoe.
    Last edited by Mike Lysov; 12-13-2012 at 5:20 AM.