After getting some input from fellow creekers, I purchased a Packard 1.25" German (Continental) gouge, and also a Benjamin Best 2" spindle roughing gouge. Just thought I would show a couple pics.

1.jpg

My prior roughing has been done with my original Harbor Freight SRG, and while it works fine, one can not aggressively remove material with it. There just is not enough mass and width to permit that on a large squared off block. I really enjoyed roughing with this inexpensive big chunk of metal!! Much more comfortable, and much quicker. A caveat - it takes off wood in a hurry! I will need to get used to checking the status a little more often - nearly removed too much!

The German gouge was very pleasant to use. I didn't change the 45* factory grind, but touched up the edge. It leaves a very smooth surface, and I felt it was easy to control. One can get a nice, sweeping curve shaping an end grain turning. However, it did not want to behave as well coming across the top (end grain) and felt like one could get a catch if not careful in that presentation. I will experiment with the grind some and perhaps see how it does with a little different profile on the nose. I think this is going to be a nice add on to the tool rack! After using this one for awhile, if it continues to perform as I think it will, I suspect I might end up with a 3/4".
2.jpg 3.jpg

And, now for that rare glimpse! For those of you that have visited my shop, or even noticed in various pics I have posted, this is an extremely rare sight - actual "stuff" on the ways of the lathe, and even on the floor!!

4.jpg
And, here is the real shame of it all - except for blowing the shavings off the lathe, I left this mess when I came in a few moments ago.

I am sure I will regret revealing this, but sometimes confession is good for the soul. The sun shall not set tomorrow on this mess!!