I have a small furniture company and cabinet business. I'm shopping for a nice jointer and planer and i'm settling in on purchasing a Euro style combo machine to save space and give me a wider jointer for facing wide boards. One strong recommendation I've gotten from everyone is get a spiral head. After all my research it's down to a Hammer A3 31 vs. the Laguna 12". Fine Woodworking rated all the machines well.

What have been people's experience with the Hammer machines? Are they worth the money- I had initially thrown them out given they didn't offer a spiral head, but in talking to the factory you can get their 12" with Byrd shelix head for +$800. Bed length is shorter but it does have some nice options to grow the machines capability - although they are all very expensive and quickly drive up the price of the machine. Does anyone have experience with the Laguna jointer/planers? They seem to be selling well but I haven't found many people who own any of the newer re-designed models? Everyone likes to knock that they're made in Taiwan - I personally don't care about that if the quality is there from the design and factory process controls. Right now, the Hammer A3 31 is ~$3800 vs. $2800 for the Laguna - both with spiral head. Extension tables and digital gage push A3-31 up to about $4100. Which would you purchase? Is the spiral head worth the upgrade on the Hammer?