Out here in Afghanistan planning projects for when I get back from deployment. Right now I am without real dust collection. I have a steel dust deputy being powered by a shop vac "6" hp unit. I connect to my 6" jointer, 20" PM planer, and sometimes my Jet 18" bandsaw. I picked up the planer last summer and it really reinforced the need for a real dust collection system. I am pretty much set on the Oneida 3 or 5 hp unit.

I live and work in FL and my shop is a garage that has the door open pretty much all the time so I'm not so worried about replacing the air. My thought is to pour a slab off the side of the house and build a small shed to put the DC and air compressor in. 5' x 8' slab framed with 2x6 walls insulated for sound? I could also mount the DC on a stand so it would not transmit the sound to the walls of the house. Additionally, I like the idea of a 55gal drum vice the 35. If I mount in the garage I will have to put a hole in the ceiling just for the 35gal drum.

Notes: footprint for AC 48"x40"
footprint for DC 27"x53" with filter

Run a sub-panel to power both the compressor and the DC? Is three phase worth the trouble? I if I go with 3 phase the cost of the compressor and DC decrease enough to about pay for a rotary phase converter. Then I could use that to power other three phase machines....welders, metal working lathe.

If any of you have done something similar could you post some pictures?

Comments/Recommendations?