Thread: Router Safety Switch

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Router Safety Switch

Below you will find photos of a safety switch that I recently constructed for my table mounted router. Following were my requirements:

§ Easy to switch the router off during use
    § Inability to cause accidental starts
    § Guard against accidental starts after a possible but unlikely loss of power
    § Quick disconnect near the router because the power receptacle is not in a convenient location

A couple of years ago I built a magnetic starter switch assembly for my jointer-planer using components from AutomationDirect. It seemed to me that a similar setup for my router would meet all of my requirements.

Photos 1 & 2 show the assembly prior to installation. I removed the router power cord and replaced it with a Festool “Plug-It” quick connect pigtail that I picked up on a business trip to Europe. Of course a twist-lock plug will accomplish the same thing and can be purchased at most home or hardware stores. The original router power cord now supplies power to the switch contactor assembly (relay) in the larger box. I did not modify the cord in any way so it can be refitted to the router should I desire to return it to stock condition. A separate smaller box is used to mount the large mushroom stop switch (with twist to release) and on the side a green start pushbutton. It would have been easier to mount the switches in a standard 2-hole box but I liked the idea of having the start switch in a place that required intentionality.

Photo 3 shows the “guts” inside the boxes

Photos 4 & 5 show the installation. Now I have a higher degree of safety with my router setup. If I want to disconnect the power I just reach under and twist to disconnect. More importantly the router cannot be started accidentally even after loss of power and I can easily turn it off by bumping the red switch with my hip allowing me to keep both hands free.

Is this overkill? Probably! The switch assembly cost me about $100 for all the parts but it does make me feel more comfortable in the shop.
    Attached Images Attached Images