My current finishing schedule is 2 coats of original Tried and True Linseed Oil (not the varnish version, which gave me fits) followed by several coats of Waterlox Original Medium Sheen until it looks right. This works for me nicely on cherry.

I have accumulated a couple pieces, here and there, of curly maple and birdseye. I bought some beautiful curly maple from Donnie Raines here as well (Thanks Donnie!) I read somewhere that if I want the maple to stay light, I should use P&L 38. I read that it is very similar to Waterlox, but does not darken the wood as much. For cherry, I want the wood to darken, but I would like to make at least one light maple table, hence the question about P&L 38.

I have tried to find P&L 38 locally, and have not had any luck. Before I special order some, I wondered if anyone used it, and which one to get. There seem to be 3 flavors, dull, satin, and gloss. I would like a medium sheen....not too shiny, but not dull. I am thinking gloss, then rub it out with steel wool and a little wax.

I would appreciate any comments from anyone who is familiar with P&L 38 and can tell me their experiences.

Thank you, and thanks to Keith and Aaron for the new finishing forum and this great community of woodworkers.