Thread: Trestle Table base

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Trestle Table base

So, I'm building what can best be described as a bookmatched walnut Nakashima style trestle table. I'd really like the base/top joinery to be reflective of what was done on the original. I definitely want to emulate that and stick to it. Obviously a great deal of planning should go into managing wood movement, as each slab will be about 23" wide. In looking at these two photos, here is what I think is going on: I think each leg post has a simple bridle joint at the top and bottom, the top appearing to join a cleat and the bottom joining the foot.
    I would most likely make these pegged bridle joints for a little more strength. Outside of the cleat that the post joins, there appears to be another cleat/batten, which seems to be screwed into the top. I have done some research and found that it's ok to screw into the top, as long as you accommodate for wood movement by boring and "slotting out" where the screws exit the cleat and enter the slab, to allow some back and forth movement of the screw throughout seasonal movement. I'd like to stick to this, if this is, in fact, what's going on.
    As far as the top side of the cleat the that post joins, I'm thinking there are most likely a few pins/dowels in place that help keep the slabs in place. Sound right?
    If anyone sees anything different or has any suggestions, please let me know. I'm known to over-research things sometimes but I want to get this right. Much appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images