Hello Creekers - I had a crazy idea and thought I would just put it out there. My daughter goes to a fabulous young Charter school here in Portland OR that is underfunded (www.portlandvillageschool.org). In the spring we have an auction to raise funds.

It's a Waldorf based curriculum which among many other things means they like things made of wood!

I thought I might try and make some chess boards for the auction. I'm making my first one right now but I'm not that great of a woodworker (e.g. miters that don't meet perfectly, poor choice in the darker wood, slightly out of square (hmmm....related to miter problem?), etc.). Plus I don't have a lot of spare time.

It might be asking too much, but perhaps a few or couple or one of you might feel inspired to throw a chess board together? I can offer to put the finish coat on it.

Thanks for reading this and let me just pass on one little thing I learned. Don't take your 7 year old daughter to the lumber yard when you don't know exactly what you want. Somehow I walked out the door with a Phillipine Mahogany board that I knew wasn't right and it isn't, but I couldn't take any more whining "can we go now"s.

Eric