I have a black walnut tree to cut down. I'm hoping it doesn't go to firewood! What do I need to know to turn this tree into usable lumber? This tree is about 30" diameter about chest height and straight up to about 14 ft. it has a few old knots and above 14ft it has a fork which should have some nicely figured grain. So, I'm figuring about 16-18ft of log to cut into lumber. Now, the important part; who do I have saw this log? I seem to remember a couple years back there was a website that listed people with portable sawmills that would do custom sawing, is this still around; where? If I have to deliver the log to be sawed what's the best way to haul it? I figure this log will weigh somewhere between 4-5000 lbs. I don't think my little dakota will tow it on a trailer very far!

on general milling tips; from what I've read so far, I should fell the tree and coat any open ends with a sealer as soon as possible. Ideally I would then have it sawn into boards that same day. Stack and sticker the boards out of the weather to dry for at least a year (this is for 1 inch thick boards). Then it should be ready to plane and use, right?

thanks for any and all advice!
Stephen