Thread: Jugendstil der Tisch (Table)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Jugendstil der Tisch (Table)

She wanted a table to accomdate a small Betta fish-tank with the space from our old computer hutch which was replaced by a larger one I finished a month ago. The wall space was vacant and determined the width. I had to attempt to compliment the computer desk-hutch which is in the same small study between kitchen and family room on a larger wall. So....

I saw a table used to sit pitchers on at a station in a German Beer Hall in Munich in the early 80's which had no drawers. I also saw a serving table by the Dutch designer Limbert (influenced by McKenzie and his Glasgow style) with double row drawers. It was Jugendstil (youth style) popular in the late 19th century in Germany and parts of Europe.

I took both designs from memory into account and created my interpretation which was a strongly built fat box. Took off all the fat and leaned it down to very lean with cut-outs and openings. Then added back toned muscle with thin corbels.. curves and arches and basic joinery. This is the result which may not appeal to you personally but I feel appropriate to compliment the desk-hutch just completed and the simple style we call home.

QSWO.. hard maple drawers.. ebony drawer pull fronts.. no metal. Simple in reality with a two week build and two week finish with intermitten hours applied Mon.-Fri. Sorry about the lighting in pictures as I have no skill with camera's.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler