Thread: Simplest CNC router?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Belt Drive

Rob,

I have to agree with your statement about belt drives. My big yellow came with a belt drive on the 4th axis. I was told at the time of purchase that the belt would not break. I insisted that it would. My experience with cutter torque on a 4th axis stepper with both my Shopbot and my 10 Spindle Lyndex were on my side. I was given extra belts to appease my sense of impending doom.

After breaking 2 belts a few months later I changed my belt drive on my 4th axis to gear drive. It is also my understanding that the company is following my design for this on future 4th axis set ups. This was verbal to me on the phone so we will see what happens.

This link will show the change to gear drive. You will have to follow it down until you come to it.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=103562

Belt drive is not the end all in the world of CNC. It has a place. My X and Y are belt drive from the servo to the reduction gear, on my big yellow CAMaster and to date have given me no problems. However, experience has taught me one thing...

There's always room for problems!!!
    Last edited by Guy Mathews; 08-06-2009 at 12:01 PM.
    Thinking outside the box is one thing, being able to accomplish what you think of, is another.

Software Rhino 3.0 & 4.0, Corel 12, Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator, Parts Wizard, Visual Mill 5.0 & 6.0, Rhino CAM/Art, Claytools, Microsoft Word, Notepad.
    Access to Hardware CAMaster 510 ATC w/4th Axis 8' Lathe, Kitako 10 Spindle CNC 4th Axis Carving Machine, Polhemus FastScan and LDI Surveyor 3500 Laser Scanners, Sensable Haptics.