Thread: hand rail

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

hand rail

I am building a hand rail at home . The design is quite simple but it is exposed to tropical elements and I would like to be sure it stands the test of time. The spindles are 1" square with the corners 1/4 rounded at 1/8" . I would like to cut a square mortise and tenon joint for the spindles. I will be taking off 1/8" of an inch all around the spindle ends . The tenon will go in to the top and bottom rail 3/4". The last time I built some similar rail it was all by hand . This time it is about 150 ft of rail with spindles every 4 " and I want to finish in a month . There are three steps included which will require an angled mortise and tenon joint . What is the best way to go about this project to get through it quickly and make sure it lasts.the posts are 3 1/2" square and the rails are 1 3/4" x 3" . I will be using stainless steel crabs to fix the posts to the concrete floor and I was wondering if I should mortise the rails into the posts or bolt them together with stainless steel straps.
    Last edited by michael foster; 05-05-2009 at 12:03 PM. Reason: additional information