I have been doing woodworking for 25+ years, the last 4-5 years professionally. I have built many different kinds of furniture, beds, tables, etc, and some cabinets; all of it fairly high end. Over time the work type varies.

I am now working on a very large conference table with a mix of granite and two veneers. Again, fairly high end. I am finding that I can save a lot of time by having my templates all cut on a cnc router, and some of the veneer on a laser. I would then vacuum veneer it, and cut the pieces to fit the templates. The granite surround would be cut with a waterjet. The other option is to have the center veneer section cnc router cut as well.

With the quotes I am getting to do some of this work, laser, cnc router, etc, I am feeling the need for a CNC router to do this myself.

I have been thinking about buying a used CNC with moderate to good capabilities. I have single phase and I don't see myself needing a high end machine, but I don't want an expensive hobby machine either. My thinking is to find a lightly used, low middle of the road, single phase machine, hopefully with software 5' x 10' with vacuum. (I guess I am looking for the TOYOTA CAMRY OR COROLLA of CNC routers.) I have to do this on a tight budget and have it start making money quickly. One other thing, with the economy the way it is I believe very good deals should be available somewhere, but I am not as familiar with this type of equipment, (not trying to take advantage of someone else's disaster but someone will buy the good stuff, it might as well be me).

Now the question (sorry for the long intro). If you were buying used today, and considering my wants, where would you look, which dealers, what brands and models would you have on your list, and what software would you look for. And, how much should I budget?

Thanks for your advice.

john