Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Night Stands - A vs. B

Night Stands - A vs. B

I am looking for feedback on some design experimentation I have done on two versions of a simple nightstand. I find that although I think my instincts generally lead me in the right direction, input from others is very useful. I would like an honest assessment of two pieces, one vs the other, and how they work in general.

Last August, I completed my first real piece of furniture, a nightstand A:
    A Front (644 x 483).jpg
    Just today I finished another similar nightstand. I decided not to make it identical to the first, but wanted to play with design features.
    B Front (644 x 483).jpg
    The most obvious is the use of curly maple in B instead of wavy maple in A.
    A Side (483 x 644).jpg B Side (483 x 644).jpg.

The overall effect is that B is deeper and darker (like an older wiser guy), while A is like a little kid. The next post will show more detail differences.

More details in my next post....

Hans

In the earlier piece (A) the top had perfectly straight edges and was beveled to reveal only about 3/8" edge. In B I chose to bevel the edge only slightly, and I rounded the edges front to back and side to side very slightly by about 1/8":
    A Front Detail (644 x 483).jpg B Front Detail (644 x 483).jpg

The drawers in A run in a dado, whereas in B I have used traditional construction.
    A Drawer (644 x 483).jpg B Drawer (644 x 483).jpg

Nightstand A has a knob I just kind of free-formed without any pre-concieved ideas, while B has a more geometrical shape:

A Handle (644 x 483).jpg B Handle (644 x 483).jpg

I am sincerely interested in all comments, good bad or indifferent. Specifically, I'd like to know: Is B an improvement over A? Oh I forgot to mention B has a back panel to hide the wall plug, whereas A is open in the back.

Looking forward to hearing from you all.

Thanks
    Hans

In short, I like B better except for the knob. IMO, a drawer of that width should have more than a little square-ish widget as a pull. Experiment with something 3-4" long, along the lines of the "A" version.

But either looks very nice, indeed.

First, both are beautiful pieces.

I like A a lot better. Much of that is because there is more contrast between the maple and cherry. I also like the pull from that drawer.

I like the angle of the top on A as well.

I like the dovetails in B. I like the figure in B. I don't like the darkness of the maple in B or the square pull. It is both too big and too small, IMHO. It is too small to fit that drawer, but its height makes it seem too big.

Pete

Hans -

I prefer A over B, although I congratulate you in a successful completion of both pieces. I enjoy the contrasting woods in A and I prefer the top over B. I echo Gary's comments about the drawer pull. The pull in A invites the user to pull - just to see how it feels!

I also agree that B offers more of a mature feel, but I enjoy the lightness and casual feel of A.

Keep up the great work.

Blake

Hans -

I think B design is Better....... I like the top shape better, and the back panel better.

They both have excellent work in them...your DT's are tight! Good stuff Hans......

I would likely choose the design of B over A for a few reasons...one being the closed back is more compatible with a lot of bedroom situations where there is a mass of electrical wires behind the night-stand as well as the propensity to accidently push things off the shelf while cleaning, etc. I like the pull on A better, however. Not that the one on B is bad...I just happen to like the style of the one on A.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I prefer A to B in most elements. I like the contrast in the wood selection of A, the reveal on the table top better complements the leg taper, and of course, the drawer pull is a nice free-form, artistic touch.

Just a few areas where I think B exceeds A. I think the dado in the side of the drawer detracts from the beautiful dovetail. (Although I prefer the dovetail size and spacing in A over B.) And I felt like the back was “missing” from A. I think that it you want to omit the back, I might suggest changing the full side panel to an apron (in cherry).

All of this to say that both pieces are truly beautiful. It’s very humbling to read that A was your first piece of furniture.

Thank you for sharing this work. It is so interesting to see two very similar pieces side-by-side.
    Denise

I'll go against the grain here . . .I like 'A' better principally because of the open back and the free-form pull.

Are those solid single-board sides, or did you just do a really really good job matching up the grain. I can't see any seam

BTW, one thing that detracts from "B" in my opinion is the curved rail under the drawer. It draws my attention. Going back to A, I see that is a nicer (IMHO) piece of cherry in the same position.

I agree with others that you want a back in there - preferably a strong one. My night stand gets some serious abuse with all my magazines and books

Pete

Thanks to all so far. Pete, The sides are two pieces, with the front piece being about 2/3 of the panel (look for the seam towards the back). By the way, I goofed on the other panel, and the seam is towards the front and more noticeable.

Hans

I like B better...........except for one thing...........the drawer front. It's too busy. I like the drawer front on A better.
    If over thinking was an Olympic event, I'd win Gold every time!

I like B below the top but very much prefer the beveled top on A.

Both are beautiful in their own ways.

For me it is difficult to compare them. They are different styles. A is more of a modern look with the beviled top and curved pull. The contrast in the wood fits a more modern style as well. B is more of a Craftsman style ( I must add that I'm one who loves Arts & Crafts, Craftsman & Prairie styles) so it is much more simple in the angles, including the knob. Personally I think you would ruin the look of either one by moving one style element such as the top or pull to the other piece. Perhaps on B you could use a more rectangular pull more in line with some on Green & Green furniture like a cloud lift or the three horizontal ebony lines. That would be the only thing I would change on either one, but the square pull is appropriate for that piece.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps