Thread: What happened to the dang STOP button in IE?

What happened to the dang STOP button in IE?

I recently upgraded to a new PC and IE 7
    Since then when a page is excruciatingly slow to load I always fumble around before I remember to pull out the keyboard drawer and hit the escape key. Why did they remove the dang stop button anyway?!?

Arrrrrgh!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Bruce, I use IE7 and I have a stop button - it's at the top, right next to the refresh button. It has a big red X in it.
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Duh..
    I thought that was for the Google search bar.
    Things are laid out a little differently from what I'm used to.

Thanks!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Laird View Post
    Bruce, I use IE7 and I have a stop button - it's at the top, right next to the refresh button. It has a big red X in it.
    OK - new question. Where is the refresh button? The only thing I've found so far is right-clicking on the tab.
    Use the fence Luke

Doug, the refresh button is the two curved arrows at the right of the address bar ... where you type in the URL. You should see a drop-down arrow for a list of previous URLs, then the refresh button, then the stop button.

Thanks Ron. Got em now. Sure wish they'd leave the Aint-Broken stuff not fixed when they roll out these "upgrades".
    Use the fence Luke

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard View Post
    Thanks Ron. Got em now. Sure wish they'd leave the Aint-Broken stuff not fixed when they roll out these "upgrades".
    Sorry, I just can't resist this one. (I tried, but just couldn't)
    My opinion is the IE is permanently, hopelessly broken no matter what version you are using. Please give Firefox a try, you will never go back.
    I kinda think of IE as the Harbor Freight version of web browsers. It kinda works, but there are WAY better choices.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    ...My opinion is the IE is permanently, hopelessly broken no matter what version you are using. Please give Firefox a try, you will never go back.
    Not a lot of argument here but with some sites just not behaving w/o IE I sort of view it as the Rosetta Stone of browsers. You can read the stuff but it needs a lot of help/bloat/translation to get there. I haven't tried Firefox but had Google Chrome installed prior to losing my hard drive last week. I've been re-installing stuff on a new laptop since yesterday and may take FF for a spin.
    Use the fence Luke

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard View Post
    Not a lot of argument here but with some sites just not behaving w/o IE I sort of view it as the Rosetta Stone of browsers. You can read the stuff but it needs a lot of help/bloat/translation to get there. I haven't tried Firefox but had Google Chrome installed prior to losing my hard drive last week. I've been re-installing stuff on a new laptop since yesterday and may take FF for a spin.
    Have you tried the Firefox add-ons for IE? Like IE Tab and IE View. These 2 work pretty well for those misbehaving IE sites. Oh, wait, I just reread your post, you said you had NOT tried FF. Let me rephrase:
    Please give Firefox a spin and be sure to get the add-ons IE Tab and IE View for those misbehaving IE sites. Plus, there are MANY add-ons that can really improve the way FF works. I really cannot imagine the web without it.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 12-26-2008 at 9:33 AM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Get NoScript for FF also.

As I understand it all keyboards sold after Jan 1 '09 must have this key:

David DeCristoforo