Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: moving right along...

all right then....this is the point i put it aside for a month and go on to something else

Randall--

Are you happy with it? I think the colors look great, including the box. Is the artist satisfied...?

What's next on the agenda? This has been fun. BTW, was this one a commission for a specific client or just something you made for sale later?

Kevin

first of all kevin...thanks a lot for following along i appreciate it.

its a funny thing...if i dont really love it , think it works and has that "wow" factor i keep working on it till it does or throw it in the wood stove (it happens). on the other hand i am never close to being satisfied as a craftsman . i could work on it for another year and still not really get there.

i am in two shows in april...one at a museum in NY and one at a show sponsored by the smithsonian in DC. for the DC show i am going to carve a nov 5 washington post....a NY Times for new york. maybe put them on tomorrows paper to add a little depth. this (cardbox)will be in the DC show. i have a gallery show over the summer and thats when they get sold....i hope.

thanks again for your interest.

That's just amazing work Randall. I've loved following the progress of this piece. You combine two very different skills so well. Good luck in the shows.

excellent work! I've seen all kinds of wood carvings,but nothing like yours,thanks for sharing.

thanks myron....i looked at your site...great work!!.

im into fish myself....but not to carve.....

wow.

that is really amazing...

so realistic.

speachless...

zuke
    "you give me that whole pile of mesquite, and ill make you a bowl!"... works every time!!!

thanks...heres the New York version of the "obama" paper.....working on the DC version.

OK, Randall, I have to ask: is that a photo of you with the guys and the fish or is it another one of your incredible carvings?

Your ability to combine realism with artistic design is truly amazing. One of the many details of your box of cards that really grabs me is that vertical slight offset fold running up the side of the box that is near the corner of the Willie Mays card. It's that type of attention to detail that really, consciously or subconsciously, draws the viewer in. What an eye! Again, beautiful work!

Dave

So Randall - A question you've no doubt had to deal with in some way in the past. Do you have restrictions on whether you could sell the "Obama Paper" carving because the NYT logo and print are copyrighted? I always wondered if that was an issue with the Warhol "Campbel Soup Can" paintings.

dave...thats me in panama on a surf ,fish trip that was obscene . lotta waves and fish down there.

the "fold" is controlled accident. i cut out the rough block pictured in the beginning of this thread with a hand jig saw (bosch) with a 4" blade. i kinda tilt the blade to mimic the side of the box....bowing it out in the middle and more verticle at the corners. when the block was free of the board it was cut from the fold was there. i must have stopped to realign the blade. just ran with it.
    thanks....i think you woud be surprised by just howmuch is eyeballed as opposed to measured.

david.... the times knows about my work. i did this piece 3 years ago and lots and lots of people asked me that question. "are you afraid of being sued?" my answer then and now is ..........."i can only hope" the free publicity would be astounding.

i think the truth is its a wood carving.....no way it could be mistaken for the real thing....at least from less than 3 feet away