Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: What HF Stuff Is In Your Shop?

Nothing! I bought an automatic compressor drain a while ago that has since found it's way to the trash can.

Not much stuff in the woodshop, but a number of garage items. Notable deals include a soldering gun that is WAAAY better than the Wellers it replaced. Air line water trap. The spindle sander looks like a great deal. Their air tools (other than impact) are a great value.

I seldom buy HF electric tools or anything that should be made of quality steel.

I just bought a bunch of hand screw clamps and locking G-clamps from them. They work fine. For the price,WOW!

What I mean by quality and cheap is that I prefer to buy quality when it makes the most sense to do so. There are things that I think being HF thrifty might make more sense to do so. It seems like these responses contain some valuable insight.

But yes, I agree regarding the combination of quality and cheap. As someone pointed out to me a while ago there is a triangle with Cheap, Fast, and Quality at the ends and you have to pick your point within the triangle.

But thanks for all the responses. They're all very helpful.

Wow, that's the best use of that plastic digital caliper I've seen. I'm going out and replace the one in my toolbox with a nice steel one and make that height/depth gauge that you've so kindly shown.

Guess I'd better go and post an intro too.

Bill

I have the 7" jointer that I bought used for $50.00. I had to do some shimming to get the tables parallel. But for $50.00 I am not complaining.

Also have a set of 6" digital calipars and some casters.
    Last edited by Mike Conley; 12-23-2008 at 5:43 PM.

Not a single thing. Too far to travel to shop.

I have a pin nailer, 1/2" stapler and brad nailer I use often as well as several cheap clamps and other supplies.

My favorite is their 1"x30" benchtop belt sander SKU#2485. I got it for $32 tax included. It is the exact same one Grizzly sells (model H3140) for $55 plus shipping.

Kev

Impact wrench, air chisel, die grinder, air regulators, texture gun, impact sockets, a set of large sockets, some F style clamps(the do not work very well) welding helmet, set if micro drills, various sets of screw drivers, floor etc, etc If it is a tool that you do not use all that often I will buy from them, But if it is something you really want to work well buy elsewhere.
    Pau C

My HF purchases are 20 years old...

• Belt/disc combo sander 6x48/12: worked well, sold it for an edgesander (non HF)

• 16" Floor Drill Press: works like a champ

• F-clamps: lousy, they slip

• Pipe clamps: lousy, simply lousy (threw them out)

• Toggle clamps: work well

• 3-way Edge clamps: works well, have about 2 dozen of 'em, great value

• Drill press clamps: they look like 1/2 of a Vice Grip Plier, works well

• C-clamp sets: work well

• Wet tile saw: consists of a small Jepson-like circular saw mounted on a homemade looking frame and slider. Still works well today. Lots and lots of hours on it. So many hours that I've wore thru 2 sets of brushes.

• Air tools: impact wrench, die grinder, cut off tool, air wrench. All work well but don't use too much.
    Again, most of my HF purchases were 20+ years ago. What's available today is likely different. But, my HF days are basically over.

-Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Milhinch View Post
    Not a single thing. Too far to travel to shop.
    Ken, they do mailorder. Just make sure you check the box on the order form that says "Attention UPS driver, please don't slap the recipient"

-Jeff

I am not knowingly buying anything from China these days so none would be my answer. I get paid a living wage, and I buy tools from companys/countrys that pay a living wage. They don't make anything that I need.

Just my point of view....

As long as you don't expect Festool quality

I have some F clamps that seem to work okay. I haven't had any problems with mine slipping. Nitrile gloves, acid brushes seem fine. I bought a multimeter for my toolbox which seems okay. It's no Fluke meter but it will tell me if there is resistance or voltage in a circuit. I've seen where people have bought drill presses, jointers and planers from HF and were happy with them. I'm not sure I'd go that far. The 43430 HVLP gun seems to get reviews. The older style (made in Taiwan)HVLP gun was identical to the P-C PSH1 gun, the newer HF HVLP gun parts(made in China) are similar but not interchangable like the Taiwanese guns was.

HTH

Curt

Nothing. I've shopped in their store, but have not found anything worth buying.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Let's see... I buy from them when I know that I am rarely going to use the tool and expect it to fail at some point in the future - sometimes after the first use. I have taken back a number of broken tools and they have replaced them without question. What I can think of

pipe clamps
    aluminum bar clamps
    center punch - the brass automatic ones have about 4 scattered about
    Transfer punch set
    HSS spiral router bits in 1/4" - good in my cnc for cutting questionable material
    3 piece countersink set.
    diamond turbo grinder wheel 4" and 7"
    casters
    air impact wrench
    air die grinder
    air chisel
    impact sockets
    hex key wrenches - Pittsburgh brand
    Shrink tubing
    voltage/continuity tester
    screwdrivers
    snap ring pliers
    security bit set
    moving blankets

Like I said most of the items have been used just a few times. Sometimes I just resist the 50% off coupon for some more junk!
    oops ....1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 - yup all there, whew!