Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why should I buy a router lift?

Why should I buy a router lift?

I'm thinking about remodeling my table-mounted router rig. That gets me to thinking about router lifts. As best I understand, a lift offers two things: above-the-table height adjustment, and above-the-table bit changes. Five years ago, the only way to get those functions was a lift. However, there are now several routers with above-the-table height adjustment (e.g. the Milwaukee 5625), and a few with above-the-table bit changes (e.g. the Triton MOF001). Presuming I buy one of these newer routers, it seems that a lift offers no additional functionality. Am I misunderstanding something here?

Blog Entries
    IMHO the Triton 2.x HP unit solves this problem well but is lower on power than I want for a RT. I have no idea why they chose to alter the above the table functions for the 3.5HP unit. My 5625 does allow above the table height adjustment but due to the method of locking the motor it is only so accurate. I love the power, smooth running, etc. of the Mil but see a lift in my future. My dad is going with the smaller Triton and from reading other's posts I imagine he will be quite happy. It's nice that manufacturers (some anyway) are paying attention to the direction hobbyists are going with their woodworking.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have the 3.25 hp Triton TRC-001, to which I've attached a $45 digital height gauge ( www.digi-kit.com/digirouter.htm ).

iSawstop dust box front.jpg

It's easy to change bits above the table, and after zeroing the digital gauge when the bit is flush with the table, I can raise the bit to a precise height in just a few seconds, using only the big (coarse adjustment) knobs. I've not used a router lift, but I can't imagine one being faster for setting bit heights. (Having said that, I expect it won't be long before a home-market lift is available that uses a servo motor to raise the bit to a specified height.)

The Triton is an excellent router for table use. It's powerful, accurate, and allows above-the-table bit changes with a single wrench. It has good safety features, including a spindle lock and power switch lock-out that is activated when the spindle is raised to change bits.

Cary

I've had a 3 hp Ryobi variable speed plunge router on my router table since 1994 and have never felt the need for a lift. I can easily reach under the table and adjust the height and I leave the router in place to change bits, which takes one hand for the wrench and one finger for the shaft lock.

With and without

I used a PC router with the built in adjustment for two years. I always had problems repeating my setups and it took forever to make fine adjustsments because of backlash in the sytem. I recently purchased the digital router lift from Jointech and I love it. They just lowered the price and I wish I would have waited but this is a great addition to my shop.

The Wixey gauge with the Triton does look like a good solution if you don't purchase a ready made lift.

I have no affiliation to Jointech or PC.

Having just purchased a benchdog lift/table and PC 7518, I think the real answer is that the setup is so much faster and easier because there is no more hefting the router out or kneeling to hold the shaft lock or using both hands to set heights or any of that. You just dial it up with the wrench and go.

I used mine without the lift for a couple days and it seems to me that the bit changes were a drag because of the need to crouch down and wrestle the cord and the constant dust all over everything that makes you dirty and the router hard to put back in its base... Plus the router was always on a different speed or switched off when I went to start.

I dont think there is any more accuracy (I make test pieces for all my work anyway) but it is really just a matter of convenience. A luxury as far as Im concerned. I will say that the BD lift is heavy and that makes it feel smoother and the cabinet makes it much quieter.
    Strive for perfection...Settle for completion

Just a general tip: I got a height guage off Ebay for about $50. I real nice Mutabo one. Even though it is a dial and not digital, it's extremely easy to read.

It works great for repeatablity of router bit height, and has other uses as well.

I have this one and love it (Jessem Mast-r-lift excel):

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...9&d=1171026375

The height gage dial is great for repeatability, the system has great dust collection both above and below the table and the fence is the best (IMHO).

But be ready to shell out big bucks, table + fence + PC7518 router were over $1000.

Jamie,

Thanks for starting this thread - really got me thinking. I have a PC 691 (1.75 hp fixed base) and a DW625 plunge and have been trying to decide which to mount in the table with a lit.

I hate to mount the DW because then I have to dismount it when I need the plunge capability. The PC on the other hand is not variable speed and a bit light for much table work (raised panel door for instance).

I was really heading towards buying a lift AND and a var speed, high HP fixed router. Didn't know these existed. Thanks!

Jamie,

A router with above table adjustments (and preferably above table bit changing) does eliminate the need for a lift. To add to your list, Freud now offers the FT1700VCE (2-1/4hp fixed base) and FT3000VCE (3-1/4hp plunge base) which have both of those features.
    Charles M
    Freud America, Inc.

I'm using a Triton 3.25 HP in a table and have left all the original hardware on it (no lift). The winder and micro adjustment are easy to use. and It's also convenient when I want to take incremental passes because I just attach my little wooden handle to it. Rotating the handle that way is really easy. The table is just off the end of my slider table so I can sit or stand and manipulate my work with substantial ease

Cliff,
    What little wooden handle are you referring to? I have the same router, I might be interested.

Brian Walter

Those of you that have a lift, do you no longer need to kneel down to check the bit height anyway? Above the table height adjustment sounds like good idea, but if you have to get down there anyway, why spend the big bucks on a fancy lift? I'd rather put that money towards something else, personally.

My $0.02.

- John

Yes, the height must be checked but that only takes a second and I (32 years old-getting harder every day) can just bend down and look quickly without kneeling as I have to when making adjustments without the lift.

I amke a test piece for each joint anyway.

Its a luxury, lets all just admit it!
    Strive for perfection...Settle for completion

Blog Entries
    I don't have a lift but I still use this:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...0&d=1163738123
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler