Thread: Glasses without rotary attachment?

Glasses without rotary attachment?

I think I saw some discussion about lasering glasses without a rotary attachment but I seem to find any post.
    Is anyone doing glasses without a rotary and are there any tricks to doing it?

I've only done a couple to see if I could. I made the image a little too large and had to go over them twice with a change in focus to account for the curve on the second pass. They came out fine using a coating of dish soap. Next time I try I will also use newspaper stuck to the soap as many here have suggested. Sorry I don't remember the settings I used.
    Margaret Turco

60 watt Universal V-460, Coreldraw X4

I have done a few, you have to focus between the closest and farthest places to be engraved then make sure the image is not too big or the outside edges will be fuzzy or missing. One initial or logo no more than 1.5" seems to work fine. You also might consider trying it first with blue masking tape over the glass at low power to engrave in white on the tape and test it before doing the glass.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I do it all the time. I keep my engraving to 1.900" on 14 oz wine glasses and have found using soap and a soaked blue disposable "shop towel" works well. The "shop towel" will stretch and conform to the complex curve of the glass. I focus like Joe said and I increase the power to compensate for the out of focus areas and to engrave through the towel.
    Brian Robison
    MetalMarkers
    Epilog Mini
    Rabbit 1290