Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any woodworking motorcyclists?

TWENTY GALLON TANK!!??? Talk about Iron butt. A guy at work here has a BMW with a 12 gallon tank. Says he can ride 8 hours. I can ride for 1.5 hours and I need, and I mean NEED, to get off it for a while. I have a 2004 Shadow 1100. Anybody ever find a good seat for one? Tried a gel, but made it hurt worse.

Heres mine.Its a Honda VTX 1300 C , body has been modified alot. There is a 220 rear tire kit installed.Which changed the fender, swing arm, struts. Plus theres a bigger front tire and matching rims an brake disc.
    Its not fast but looks good and it rumbles.
    I dont ride much due to weather but really relaxes me when out.

Bike front.jpg

10.jpg

Theres alos this old post of Creekers rides
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=61829
    Last edited by Craig D Peltier; 12-19-2008 at 10:49 AM. Reason: add link

Yup,
    2000 Kawasaki W650 (the short-lived Bonneville clone)
    2001 Ducati M750

The Kawi gets a lot less attention since I got the monster this past summer. I've kicked around the idea of getting an older honda twin or CB550 to work on, but discovered wood working while I was searching for the perfect project bike...and, the bike ideas have been put on the shelf.

I've been a M/Clist for 39 years and to me it's just a another case of working with your hands. Several restorations on european bikes through the years although I'm currently riding a Super Motarded 06 Suzuki DR650 due to a back injury.

Mac

When they bring back the rigid pan heads with a springer front end I'll ride again. That is if I can get my leg over it, the kidneys hold up and I can get someone to kick start it for me. Untill then I'll wait untill I hit the lottery and probably buy a really soft ride.

We have put 85,000 miles on our 2001 Honda Goldwing GL1800, and we travel and camp in a Aspen Classic camper.

Allot of my other interest are in my shop, currently I am building a smoker out of an old fridge also
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kurt

BMW's aren't just for the old folks. My buddy is 23, he rides a Dakar Edition GS650. Its a pretty sweet bike.

The craziest thing I think I've done on a motorcycle was riding my GSXR from home in Minnesota, to Knoxville TN. Just shy of 1k miles, in less than 13 hours. Thats a total average of 77mph! I did an entire tank in Illinois never dropping below 115mph, a good portion of the time on that tank I was doing 125mph. I'll never do that again, I'm lucky I didn't end up in the clink. That bike usually got a bit less than 50mpg, I average 32 over the course of that trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Stewart View Post
    TWENTY GALLON TANK!!??? Talk about Iron butt. A guy at work here has a BMW with a 12 gallon tank. Says he can ride 8 hours. I can ride for 1.5 hours and I need, and I mean NEED, to get off it for a while. I have a 2004 Shadow 1100. Anybody ever find a good seat for one? Tried a gel, but made it hurt worse.
    Yes....what you need is a Mustang Seat for the Shadow 1100. Your ride time comfy will be greatly extended.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I gave a friend of mine a mint GL500 Silverwing a few years ago, and he called last night to say he was moving out of state for work, and wanted to give it back.

So..... I will be on the street next year again. I put about 40k on that bike and after it was gone I found I missed it, and still do. It is the straingest motorcycle that I have ever owned, is like riding a marshmellow, but it provided many great days in the oh so comfortable saddle. My buddies all refered to it as "The Couch" and as they got tired on long rides on their misc. rides, they all wanted a spell on "The Couch". That bike gave me the opportunity to ride so many different bikes, it was worth it just for that alone. I did more over 1000 mile days on that bike than any other.

I am really excited about this! The worst performing bike I have ever owned, and I am excited about it? One other thing, it is the only street bike that I have ever owned that my wife felt comfortable on. This is a good point. No matter how slow I rode my fast bikes she was never comfortable, and neither was I because I was too stiff trying not to freak her out.

But this morning it is -8 degrees, so it will have to wait.....

if i did not have two cnc machines i would probably ride more!!

jim

I bought my '89 Honda Pacific Coast about 12 years ago. It was 7 years old and had 8K miles on it. It now has 42K and runs great. I've taken a couple of long trips to Oklahoma and to Glacier Park/Yellowstone. It isn't possible to describe driving through those parks on a beautiful summer day riding a bike. Not a typical bike in appearance (some refer to it as an ice box on wheels or the tupperware bike) but it has great storage, virtually no maintenance and is easy to handle. God willing, I'll be driving it for another 12 years.

Kawasaki VN800 here. I do my best to keep the grease and wood separated - in the workshop the automotive hobbies are downstairs and the woodshop is upstairs.

Hello,
    Any woodworking motorcyclists?
    Not for many a year.
    IIRC, it was ~ 1976 when I went on a riding hiatus.
    You never really "stop", just take extended breaks in between rides.

My wife said I can get another MC the day she gets a live in boyfriend.

I told her as long as the guy cuts the grass & takes out the garbage,,,,

That brought the dreaded "look".

But - being stupid and not knowing when to shut up, I followed up with, "Hey, in baseball they bring in a reliever in the 7th inning"...
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Rufener View Post
    I bought my '89 Honda Pacific Coast about 12 years ago. It was 7 years old and had 8K miles on it. It now has 42K and runs great. I've taken a couple of long trips to Oklahoma and to Glacier Park/Yellowstone. It isn't possible to describe driving through those parks on a beautiful summer day riding a bike. Not a typical bike in appearance (some refer to it as an ice box on wheels or the tupperware bike) but it has great storage, virtually no maintenance and is easy to handle. God willing, I'll be driving it for another 12 years.
    There was a time I was looking for one of those. I think they are beautiful as well as practical. Hard to find too.....

Have you seen what they are bringing? I am not alone.

My 05 Road King Classic. Has 14K on it, I bought it new. This is a picture from the summer. It is a little too cold and the roads don't appove of motorcycling now. I also have a 72 Honda CB350 hiding in the shed. I don't know what to do with it.