Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shop Layout Advice

Lots of shop tables there. My shop is only 16 X 24 with no non-woodworking tools there. Instead of a permanent shop/assembly table, I have a few folding sawhorses that get set up for temporary assembly tables. You could use an inexpensive hollow-core door or a doubled-up plywood table for a work surface. Flexibility is the key to survival in a small shop space.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer View Post
    I have a similar layout in a much bigger space. I would attach the outfeed table to the saw and use it for assembly. You should have a real bench as well. The jointer would run better in the other direction.
    I agree with attaching the outfeed table to the tablesaw. Also, I would position the tablesaw so that the blade is aligned with the doorway on the left. That way, you can cut longer boards by opening the door.

I spent many hours researching layouts and designing when I built my shop.

Now I am on re-work number 3. Most because of new or bigger tools but keep it flexible is my biggest advice.

I use a torsion box outfeed that doubles as an assembly table (although a bit high) and a smaller rolling torsion box on a cab that is much lower and more handy to work at. Space is always at a premium no matter how big it seems.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

I just finished with the layout tonight and the planer will have to stay mobile because it is in the way of the tool chest and router table at the other end of the tablesaw. but now I have to run some ducting to the other side of the room for the sander and jointer.

After looking at it for a while I think I will like the new layout, it is funny that freeing up one table will give me so much more room to work with.

here are some pics I just took.

now on to making lots of sawdust

Thanks
    James
    Attached Images Attached Images

James, I'm glad your new layout is working out better for you.

I noticed that you had the Coleman cabinets on the wall. How do you like them? Lowe's currently has them at 15% off and I need some storage cabinets for the garage section of my new shop/garage building.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Hi James, nice looking shop! Here is what I used to deal with my bicycles:
    http://www.amazon.com/Racor-Ceiling-.../dp/B00006JBL3

I can't tell from your pic's if you have enough headroom, but if you do, this is a low-cost (and secure) solution that will free up that wall.

BTW, I have three of them mounted 16" apart and they work great. When I get a chance, I will take a picture.

don, They are ok just don't put anything real heavy on the shelves as it will start to bow in the middle. other than that i like them, i think i paid around $46 each for them and mounting was real easy even on my brick walls.

thanks
    James

James, thanks for the information on the cabinets. I looked at them today while the LOML was in Lowe's buying a new washer and dryer for our new place. They looked like they would work out fine for what I need now. Yes, I should make some, but with all the other things I need to do before we move it's easier at this time to just buy some. Besides, their down in the garage, away from the shop.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps