Thread: Plane Till

Plane Till

I'm about half way through this project, I still need build a door for the front and also build the drawers. Its built out of scrap birch plywood and pine. I have a lot of cherry I got for free so I want to build some cherry drawer fronts for the drawers. I was thinking about painting the cabinet but now I'm not sure it would look good with cherry drawers. Any suggestions? What color should I use?

If a brad nailer shoots brads, and a pin nailer shoots pins, a framing nailer must shoot framers ... right?

Cherry trim about the edges then cherry doors and drawers .... it's to nice to paint ... unless you use multiple coats of milk paint (hunter green) with a clear topcoat.

Well I would stain the cabinet but there are some spots where I sanded through the birch veneer (which is a millionth of an inch thick). So staining would look bad in those few spots. Painting is the only way I think It will look good, I just don't know what colors look good with natural cherry as an accent.
    If a brad nailer shoots brads, and a pin nailer shoots pins, a framing nailer must shoot framers ... right?

Since this is destined for your shop, perhaps something lighter than my original suggestion of hunter green would be better in the long run. You really need lighter colors in a shop where lighting is sometimes dim. Perhaps a light tan or grey would provide a good base. Why don't you complete a cherry door, finish it natural and then use it to color match paint samples with?

Cherry drawer fronts would look very nice with a painted cabinet if you choose to go that way...I'm inclined to greens, but it's kind of a personal preference. If you do the cherry drawer fronts, I'll suggest you'll want some additional cherry highlights to provide balance.

Thanks for posting this project...one of which I need to think about one of these days with my growing stable of Neander tools.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...