Thread: Looking For new Random Orbital Sander

Looking For new Random Orbital Sander

I'm in the market for a new sander I want to stay as much under 100$ as I can and still get a good quality sander.

I was looking on ebay and saw the

D26453K for 99$

and the

D26451K for 69$

What are the diferences in these two models?

How does DeWalt stack up to the other brands

as far as comfort of use and not causing sanding swirls ( I hate those little swirls!!!)

What models do you use and like?

The more expensive model in your post is a variable speed the other is single speed.

Have you reviewed this thread?
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...random+orbital
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Klingspor has a deal right now where you get their sander { re-labled Bosch} and 5 boxes of 50 disks of your choice for under a $100. I just bought one and the Bosch sander is just fine, works as well as my Porter Cables. You can't beat the deal, and their paper is as good as any.

Klingspor has a deal right now where you get their sander { re-labled Bosch} and 5 boxes of 50 disks of your choice for under a $100
    Larry, I looked for a bit and did not find the deal you were speaking of could you maybe give me a link

I just bought a Ridgid, so far I like it a lot. One of the nice things is a shop vac hose fits right onto the dust port.

I 2nd the Ridgid. Dumped my PC 333(?) after getting the Ridgid. it's quieter, smoother with less vibration. Nice long cord too.

I recently bought the PC 390, mainly because it has a brake on it. I got really tired of having to hold my sander until it spun down.

I don't have enough experience with the 390 yet to really recommend it, but the brake does work well.

I also have the Ridgid and it's okay. I don't like the switch location - you turn it off by accident when you're using it. Mine's about two years old and starting to make noise so I'll probably have to send it in.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by "Jacob Robinson" View Post
    Larry, I looked for a bit and did not find the deal you were speaking of could you maybe give me a link
    It was in a catalog, and I threw it out. If you call them I'm sure they will take care of you, I have found them easy to deal with over the years. Check out their box of belts deals too, great belts, great prices. They also stock every kind of belt and abrasive that you can imagine and will make specials for oddballs.

Quote Originally Posted by "Jacob Robinson" View Post
    http://www.woodworkingshop.com/001c/...112_91-106.pdf

on page 94

I cannot imagine any circumstance which one would prefer a 5" sander over a 6" sander, except when trying to save a few bucks on purchase price.

Remember high school math? A 6" sander has about 50% more surface area than a 5", and has a significantly better chance of sanding a large area flat. (But can still sand the edge of a 5/8" drawer just as easy as a smaller sander...).

We use 6" bosch sanders in my shop.

Think of how much you enjoy sanding verses the 10 year service life of a power tool and divide that by a few bucks and then make your decision.

-Steve

I have a six inch sander and several 5" sanders. I don't use the 6" very much except on flat horizontal surfaces because it's too heavy. While a 6" sander has its place, if you're only going to buy one, get a 5".

The 6" sanders are also a lot more expensive.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

My original PC sanders were 5". My current sanders are 6" and I'm perfectly happy with them. Having tried the same brand tool in 5", I also found the 6" to have less vibration, although that could just be the nature of the tool. Vibration, or rather, the lack of it, was one of the prime reasons I upgraded.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I know this isn't the classifieds, but I have an extra new in box Bosch 5" I would sell very reasonable of even swap for something.

Story goes like this. We usually do the Amazon tool thing for Christmas. My wife orders a pretty good load of tools, hides them in the basement, gives me about half of them for Christmas. Random stuff, like various dust collection attachments for power tools I don't own, but no power tool. "Thanks honey, just what I wanted". Didn't want to hurt her feelings so I said nothing. Around March I bought some of the tools I had needed. About May I'm working in the basement and find a box of tools and accessories I already own, that she purchased and hid from herself. That's why I got two Bosch sanders. It's a pretty good one for the price IMO.