Thread: shaper fence (building one)

shaper fence (building one)

Just purchased a used Griz 1 1/2 hp shaper. Since we just had our first snow, the guy wanted to get his car in his garage, he let it go for $25 bucks. Very Good looking and running machine, no bits and no fence on top. Any suggestions on creating a fence for this machine? also, the crank for raising and lowering the bit seems very very stiff. Is this normal for this machine.?
    Thanks

John,

Last question first... I'm not familiar with Grizzly's machines, but many shapers have a depth locking feature; if there's one on this machine make sure it's loosened before you try to raise or lower the cutterhead assembly.

In designing your fence, keep in mind that a shaper needs a split fence (each half independently adjustable) so that the outfeed portion of the fence can be set forward whatever amount you've just cut off the work. Some cuts, of course, don't require this feature so the fence faces can be set in line with one another.

Finding a used fence for this machine might be the path of least resistance.

Would you consider just replacing it with a new one from grizzly? The reason I ask is I just did a bearing,arbor,belts complete with all the other associated parts and the price for the new replacement parts was very reasonable.

With that being said. I would do a complete drawing of the fence . Norms router fence is sweet so maybe you pick up some ideas from that. Also I work at a shop that has that machine. We do not use it much. But it has the small "baby" feeder on it. It works well. Keep that in mind when you design your fence system. To allow clearance for maybe a small power feeder in the future.
    Cheers
    James
    Last edited by James Reichman; 12-14-2008 at 12:55 PM.

John, you could build a fence, but it would be far easier to buy the correct one from Griz, if they will sell it that way.

Frank, I built a wood one for my old shaper. I found it worked much better than the stock General Int one. I used MDF for the basic construction. Ugly, but it worked quite well and only took a few hours to build. I added some T slots for hold down devices. You will need to find a DC connector, but thats not hard. I found the basic design pics on the woodweb. I think I have a pic of the old machine on my office system, so if you would like a pic just ask.

The downside of building it yourself is it is more difficult to build it so the infeed and outfeed fences are adjustable. Each fence could be removed, but if you have any operations where you want to joint stock, some like that adjustment. I opted to delete that adjustment as the outboard fence is incredibly efficient at such operations. I never found the cheap cast iron fences were really all that accurate anyway, but thats just me.

Brad

Since you *stole* a machine worth $300-$400, ANY solution BUT buying the correct fence from Grizzly should raise pangs of severe guilt within you! Their customer service is very prompt in answering email.

To be honest, the times I have felt the need for an adjustable split fence have been....One. Explore the possibilities of a straight outboard fence in these forums and in shaper literature online. You will see the pros and cons of split fence vs. outboard fence in practical use in making lengths of straight mouldings.

The idea of a split fence is same as a jointer table--infeed/outfeed. But who joints boards on a shaper? Maybe someone here? Looking to hit that One Millionth Post? *grinzz* ENJOY your new shaper!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

This is exactly why god gave us MDF. Use some to make one of these:
    fence.gif
    Face is screwed on, sacrificial. Replaceable. Attach your DC port to the back. secure it to the shaper table with clamps. 99 percent of the shaper work done in my shop has been done with a fence like this.
    Last edited by David DeCristoforo; 12-14-2008 at 3:48 PM.
    David DeCristoforo

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    This is exactly why god gave us MDF. Use some to make one of these:
    fence.gif
    Face is screwed on, sacrificial. Replaceable. Attach your DC port to the back. secure it to the shaper table with clamps. 99 percent of the shaper work done in my shop has been done with a fence like this.
    So thats the reason...

I like a split fence for lots of things, I'd say I'm about 50/50 split fence use to straight. It won't take much to make a reasonable straight fence if that suits your needs, it will only take a call to grizzly to get a price on the stock fence which should allow at least one fence plate to articulate. You could also make a 1/16" shim for the out feed fence of an otherwise fixed fence system to accomplish that jointing feature. A little tougher to set up, but not much, and a 1/16" is about the most I ever take off anyway on the shaper. in that case you put the shim behind the fence plate, set the shallowest part of the cutter (or use a spacer or rub collar sized to the cutter) flush to the out feed fence, the infeed fence is automatically set to remove 1/16" of material!

From my experience the shaper makes a smoother cut than almost any other machine in the shop, so if you don't use some sort of a split fence for shaping, you had better have a very good planer and joint edges real slow with fresh knives or be prepared to sand gingerly until the cows come home.

Oh, on the spindle, make sure it isn't locked, and check to see it isn't rusty or jammed with saw dust, that should move very smoothly.

"I like a split fence for lots of things, ..."

You can "emulate" a split fence by varying the thickness of the fence face in the sketch. just make it a two piece face instead of one. Or just apply a shim to one side.
    David DeCristoforo

Congrats on getting such a great deal. I too picked up the same shaper at an Estate sale. It was never used and was missing the entire fence assembly, spindles, etc. In fact, the only thing I got with it is the router bit adapter and safety guard mounting post. I paid $100 for the machine.

I talked to Grizz CS re. the fence and other parts needed. No problem getting it, but IIRC, they wanted over $100 for the fence, probably closer to $150. You may want to look at the Shop Fox version; it seems more refined. Theirs is about $170. Also, a company that sells on ebay will sell you a shaper fence too.

Quote Originally Posted by john adcox View Post
    Just purchased a used Griz 1 1/2 hp shaper.
    My shaper is the same as yours, I bought it used but my deal wasn't as sweet as yours.

You can down load the owner's manual from the Grizzly site. If the spindle is hard to crank up or down it's probably because the spindle lock knob on the left side of the cabinet is locked.

Mine did come with the cast iron split fence. I don't like it and have been considering making a shop built fence. The threaded rods that adjust the fence faces in and out are a little crude, a finer thread would have been better. The shaper is a little light in the weight department so I've been considering weighting it down with sand bags inside the cabinet to reduce vibrations. Otherwise, I'm quite happy with this small shaper and the 1.5 HP motor seems to have enough power to spin 6" cutters with no problem.

-- Phil

A split fence will have its utility when the occasion arises. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and have to figure out how to build it. Just as important is dust collection that most fences afford. Whatever fence you decide on, make sure it affords Good DC !

For years I have wanted (not really needed) a Powermatic fence for my 5hp Model 26. But, for $125 (with a power feeder/no tires) I can't gripe!! I have managed!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

[quote=David DeCristoforo;991507]This is exactly why god gave us MDF. Use some to make one of these:

And I always thought it was as a punishment for past sins...........Rod.