Thread: Osage Orange bowl with paduak rim

Osage Orange bowl with paduak rim

Hi Everyone,
    Below are some pictures of a osage orange and paduak bowl I just finished last night.

I have several roughed out osage bowls in the last stages of drying out, and was toying with the idea of adding a segmented rim. I wanted some wood that would really compliment the bright yellow of the osage. But that the same time, I wanted something that would work as the color of the osage mellowed to golden. I had these scraps of paduak laying around and just happened to find them when I was cleaning up my shop. They seemed perfect for the job.

The paduak rim was constructed from (2) layers of 1/4" thick (12) segment rings. The bottom layer separated from the osage by black veneer. One problem with paduak is that like many tropical or exotic woods, the color will bleed over into the adjoining wood. On the advice from Mark Kauder and Joel Hunnicutt, I used black veneer to separate these woods, and to give definition to the inner segmented ring.

Like just about every bowl I turn these days, I tried something new. After reading Keith Thompkin's post on Wood Central about maintaining tight joint lines in segmented work, I decided I would re-think my modus-operandi for assembling segmented rings.

With past bowls, I would cut out the segments, and then lay some packing tape (sticky side up) along a straight edge. I would then assemble the ring "in the flat", add glue, and bring the ends of the tape together. The still wet ring was then added to the bowl, along with the other rings. This method works OK. But unless you are dead on, there is bound to be a gap or two.

If you take a look at Kevin Neely's website, you will see the method I used this time. Basically you assemble the segments in pairs and allow them to dry. After a bit of time, you assemble the pairs into groups, and so on until you have a complete half-ring. In order to make up for any angular inconsistencies, you use a special tablesaw sled to trim the ends of the half rings. Thus ensuring that the half rings will fit together with no gaps. After this, the ring is flattened using a belt sander, or on the lathe using a MDF disc, hot glue, and a sanding stick. The nice thing about this method is that each joint receives your full attention. That way, the final assembly consists of a series of very tightly joined pieces.

Another new practice was using my lathe as an assembly press. With the trued up solid bowl held in my talon chuck, I needed something that could apply even pressure to the rim of the bowl. So I decided to make a platen from a 10" diameter piece of 3/4" plywood. Using a Oneway live center, I was able to attach a faceplate, which in turn held the platen onto the live center that came with my Jet lathe (BTW, this cheaper Jet live center can use ALL of Oneway's accessories) . A couple coats of Behlen's Woodturner's Finish (fast drying waxed shellac) insured that nothing would stick to this. Applying pressure to the glue up was a simple matter of locking the tailstock and advancing the tailcenter.

The bowl was then dry sanded to 2000 grit, reverse chucked using my cole jaws (too lazy to get out the vacuum chuck!) and the base turned.

Specs:
    Outer dia.: 9 1/2"
    Height: 3"
    Wall thickness: 1/4"
    Base dia.: 3 1/4"
    Sanding Method: Dry sanded to 2000 Grit.
    Finish: Watco's Danish Oil
    Final: Buffed with Beall System

Thanks for viewing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dominic Greco

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic Greco
    Hi Everyone,

One problem with paduak is that like many tropical or exotic woods, the color will bleed over into the adjoining wood.
    Thanks for viewing.
    That is a really beautiful bowl you have there!! I have a question about that concern over bleeding. Do you know if I would have a problem jointing bloodwood to maple?

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

Terrific!!!! Great work and design!!!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Outstanding, Dominic. Good info on the segmentation assembly, too. Appreciate it!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Dominic,

You are turning out some fantastic work lately! Super piece! I wonder, do you keep or sell your turnings?
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

That bowl is just beautiful. I hope you'll post another picture after the osage orange has changed color.

Great work.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mages
    ....Do you know if I would have a problem jointing bloodwood to maple?...
    Dan,
    Thanks for the compliments on the bowl!

To answer your question, I believe Bloodwood is another one of those oily tropical hardwoods. I think it would be a good idea to separate the two woods with thin veneer. Packard Woodworks sells red, white, and black veneer just for this purpose.

Another good tip is to apply sanding seal after you have the final turned to shape. This will stop the sawdust from impregnating the pores of the lighter maple wood. For sanding sealer on this bowl, I used a 50/50 mix of varnish (with the alkyd resins) and mineral oil. I just wiped a couple of light coats carefully on the osage, then carefully on the paduak and let it dry over night. It also filled the pored of both woods and made them super easy to sand.
    Last edited by Dominic Greco; 06-11-2004 at 7:42 PM.
    Dominic Greco

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    Dominic,
    You are turning out some fantastic work lately! Super piece! I wonder, do you keep or sell your turnings?
    Thank for the compliments Chris!

Actually, all of the items I turn are meant for "inventory". I usually work like a demon this time of year so that I can have a large inventory during the holiday season.
    Dominic Greco

I think your skills are there for museum quality pieces, Dominic.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Nice work Dominic. I like the slight flare at the rim with a crisp edge and rounded nicely over to the inside. Thanks for posting the segmentation info. too. Nice choice of contrasting woods.

Brad