Thread: Coreldraw, which version is best?

Glinda Fabok Guest

Smile Coreldraw, which version is best?

I'm a newbie and I'm in the process of buying a Universal Versa system. I need to purchase Coreldraw and I would like to know if the x4 version is the latest one, and would anyone recommend it?

Hi Glinda,
    I have V12 but need to upgrade. I would suggest X4, it's the latest one.
    Brian Robison
    MetalMarkers
    Epilog Mini
    Rabbit 1290

Glinda,

X4 is the latest version, you could probably get X3 at a really good price and there is not much difference. Either version will work fine.
    Mike Mackenzie
    Sales and Service of Universal Laser Systems

Glinda Fabok Guest

Coreldraw version

Thanks guys, I'll look into the X3 if it will save a few bucks at this point. Glinda

Glinda,
    There are a few new things in X4 that X3 does not have. #1 is the center line trace. This was in V12 but missed X3 somehow but now it is back in X4 and better raster to vector conversions/tracing.

Go look at the Corel X4 website and find the "What's new in X4" and see if there is anything that X4 has that X3 does not and make your decision that way. Or like many others here like myself have upgraded to X4 because we see the benefits.

May I suggest also the following:
    if you laser as a hobby, go ahead and get X3 since time is not as much an concern.
    If you laser to put food on the table and gas in the car/truck, in other words full time business, then get X4 because it will save you time and can do somethings that X3 can't or not as easily.

Hope this helps and ...
    Have a Blessed day,

Michael Kowalczyk

Laser-Trotec Speedy II 60 watt with 9.4.2 job control and will soon upgrade to JC X
    Corel Draw Suite X6, FlexiSign Pro 8.62, AI CS3 and Lasertype6

CNC Routers-Thermwood model C40 with 4th axis. Thermwood Model 42 with dual tables and dual spindles with ATC for high production runs,
    ArtcamPro 2010_SP4, EnroutePro 5.1, BobCad v21 & v24, Aspire v8 and Rhino 5.
    FOTC link
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?cp=210&lp=0&t=0&q=

I use only three programs:
    Photoshop, AutoCad and Adobe Illustrator.
    Practically you can use any program which can print documents and drawings.

From User Manual for PLS (june 2007):
    Recommended Software Programs.

ULS does not guarantee software compatibility with any off-the-shelf software program that has
    not been written by ULS. However, the following suggested programs are widely used by ULS
    customers and are considered to be the most functional and compatible programs to use with the
    laser system.
    Vector Graphics Programs (user supplied)CorelDRAW 12 or X3**, Adobe Illustrator CS
    Bitmap / Scanning Software (user supplied) Corel PHOTO-PAINT or Adobe Photoshop
    Raster to Vector Conversion Software (user supplied) CorelTRACE
    CAD Software (user supplied) AutoCAD for Windows
    FONTS (user supplied) Use True Type fonts ONLY. Do not use PostScript or bitmapped fonts.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kowalczyk View Post
    if you laser as a hobby, go ahead and get X3 since time is not as much an concern.
    For that matter, you can probably get X3 now and upgrade it to X4 at a later date for not much more than the full version of X4 costs now.
    Just make sure your copy of X3 is legal so there won't be issues at upgrade time.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

One of the nice things I have noticed with X4+SP1 is the 'vast' improvement in the thumbnails you get with windows explorer.. You can actually 'see' what the job was/is.. I use the explorer to sort through my graphic thumbnails, and the difference is astounding..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it