Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: If you could buy any cordless drill, which would it be?

If you could buy any cordless drill, which would it be?

We are going to do a woodworking club cordless drill review tomorrow at lunch (monthly woodworking meeting). I am looking for input on what the forum community would purchase if you could buy any cordless drill and why. Also if you have cordless impact, and cordless screw driver preference please list that as well. Cordless battery models only please and preferably ones available in the US. Rough cost if you know that too.

Mikie
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Hilti, hands down. Expensive but powerful, reliable. and very well balanced.

Festool C12
    Smile. It worries the other guy.

One size doesn't fill all!

You need to decide better criteria then just cordless drill/driver/impact. For the ocassional use, tight areas, or someone like my sister or mom would use, I recommend something like the Bosch/Makita 10.8 or 12 v versions.
    Now, since I had budget constraints, knew that Nimh could be rebuilt (as well as nicad), and Lithium were new(ish) at the time, I chose a Panasonic 15.6v for home. Anything more strenuous, and I grab a corded drill personally (concrete work, metal work, etc). If budget hadn't been a constraint, and you could find more rebuilders ready to go, I may have gone either Panasonic Lithium ion dual kit (driver and drill), or Makita, from experience. (Bosch is also good, but harder to find it or batteries locally)
    For heavy duty construction type stuff, I would probably go Milwaukee, 24v or greater.

For general woodworking, I am happy with my Panasonc 15.6 for lots of screws. For light/few screws (mostly clamping and glueing projects) I grab the Bosch 10.8 ps 20 and ps 40 (would love the ps30). The Panasonic was under $200 and the Bosch was a Borg $99 deal (ps20 through free rebate).

Interesting question. Of the people I know around here, I'd say 90% own at least one 18 volt Dewalt. Many own two drills or more though. From my own narrow frame of reference, maybe use the old reliable Dewalt 18 as a baseline?

I'm kind of interested in the Euro drills. Hilti, Festool, etc.

I've been using Dewalt for years in all kinds of applications. The next one that I buy will be Grizzly. I've never read a review on their drills.......haven't been able to find one. But, for the money, their guarantee and customer service that has been very good for me and the quality of large tools that I've purchased from them, it's worth a shot at roughly half the price of the better known drills.

My Two Cents........
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

Impact driver - Dewalt 18V
    Drill/Driver - Panasonic 15.6V
    I own both, along with Metabo, Porter Cable and others, but I am currently considering adding a Milwaukee 18V to the stable.
    (I have a shop full of Festool, but I think their drills suck)

Another Panasonic 15.6V fan
    Use the fence Luke

Milwaukee 18 V for me.....

I know it's a dirty word but I have a 18volt B&D that works great for me. The chuck comes off and you can then put in quick connect bits and drivers. I have some others but it is my cordless drill that I reach for first. I can get new batteries locally for around $25. If my memory serves me right drill and charger with two batteries were less than $60.

Dewalt 18 volt XRP has taken a pounding and shows no signs of quitting. The batteries don't last all that long though.

Depends on use & user

I think for typical woodworking tasks and users with smaller hands the Bosch 10.8/12 volt or similar Makita are a good choice. I have the PS40 and the PS20 (Buy one get one free) I wish the PS20 turned about half again faster, turns 400 rpm, 600 rpm+ would be better for drilling pilot holes/countersinking. Someone with larger hands might find this form factor uncomfortable & cramped to use but I find them quite comfortable and powerful enough to drive the typical #6 or $8 screws. 1/4" lags? Don't think so.

HTH

Curt

I use my 18v Dewalt a lot, but I'm reaching for my Bosch PS40 and PS20 nearly as much lately. Very light, can get into tight spaces and hold a charge very well.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

For certain jobs, like hanging cabinets, my Bosch PS40 can't be beat. Powerful, light weight, gets into tight corners, and the impact drives hangers into studs like they were butter

Panasonic, hands down. I have Bosch, Panasonic and Makita. The Panasonics win on all fronts, ergonomics, battery life and power. My first Panasonic, an old 12V NiCad I bought 16 or 17 years ago, is still going strong.

Hank