Thread: Freud Super Dado Prices HIKE YIKES!

Freud Super Dado Prices HIKE YIKES!

Has anyone checked out the prices of the Freud Super Dado sets lately? I received the latest flyer from Tool Crib/Amazon.com and the price of the 8" Super Dado set jumped to $207!!! Just last week it was only $154.99. What a bummer. I have been saving up Amazon.com gift certificates and waiting for their next coupon ($50 off $250) to buy this dado set, and a Forrest WWII. Oh well, there goes the my $50 savings.

Does anyone know of an online location where the Freud 8" Super Dado is still in the $150 to $160 range?

Eric

Exclamation

Here's a link I use:
    http://www.toolseeker.com/

Looks like it's $169.
    Gary
    Bluegrass - Finger Pickin Good!

Try Here

Go to Froogle.com and do a search for the Freud SD508. There are a bunch of places that are selling them for $159.99.

Why not jump up to the Dial A Dado... Gawd I want one of those so bad.

The next cabinet my mother in law wants build will somehow justify one of those. she's good enough to cover any cost to build her pjcts.

Joe in Tampa

I just looked through the Amazon/Tool Crib catalog that came in the mail yesterday and the Super Dado is listed at $207! Luckily I ordered one last Sunday when the price was $159 (probably a day before the price increase). I had been considering ordering it for a while, and I needed to add something to my Amazon order to bring it over the $250 mark to get the $50 discount, so I went for it.

I wonder if this rationalization will work with LOML when the bill comes?

Jim

Dan Bussiere Guest
    Sorry to gloat (stealth) but I got a set (SD508) a few months back at Sears, still in the box unopened for $49. Check them out and see if they are still in the discontinued stage. They may be able to locate one for you at another store.

Good Luck,
    Dan

Steel prices up 40%

China is trying to buy up the world's steel supply. I work for a company that takes steel plate shapes, adds castable insulation, and then produces troughs for the molten aluminum casting industry. China's efforts have created a world shortage. They are now buying up the raw ore also. If you are planning to purchase any major woodworking iron, do so quickly. The blurb on the new Grizzly catalog about rising prices is not a joke.

Bill in WNC mountains

Super Dado Source

The current Woodworker's Supply Catalog has the 8" Super Dado listed at $158.99. They can be reached at 800-645-9292. I have no affiliation with them, but am on their mailing list.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Whitt
    Here's a link I use:
    http://www.toolseeker.com/

Looks like it's $169.
    well i too was waiting to purchase adn got caught with my britches down but your link to toolseeker saved me alittle, i got the 8inch for 174 from international tool.com.. which i found threw your toolseeker thanks for the info gary.. and maybe i need to be getti somemore iron befoe it goes outa site
    If in Doubt? Build it Stought!

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau
    well i too was waiting to purchase adn got caught with my britches down but your link to toolseeker saved me alittle, i got the 8inch for 174 from international tool.com.. which i found threw your toolseeker thanks for the info gary.. and maybe i need to be getti somemore iron befoe it goes outa site
    I ordered the 6" from International Tool --- $154.

I still want to get a jointer, but that's a lot of steel!!!
    I think steel prices will come down later this year.
    It seems China might be starting to have some labor cost problems, themselves....
    Gary
    Bluegrass - Finger Pickin Good!

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Whitt
    I ordered the 6" from International Tool --- $154.

I still want to get a jointer, but that's a lot of steel!!!
    I think steel prices will come down later this year.
    It seems China might be starting to have some labor cost problems, themselves....

thye shouldnt have labor problems, i thought that supply and demand was the key for pricing and they got all kinds of people there for the labor
    If in Doubt? Build it Stought!

Exclamation frud prices

I talked to Tool Crib people and got the scoop.
    It seems that Freud is fed up with people low balling their prices, so they are going to a MAP pricing structure which is supposed to stop retailers from advertising prices below a set limit on a variety of tools, the SD508 being one of them. So it is not that costs are going up that bad, it is just prices that are supposed to. The sales supervisor I talked to was very sceptical about it though, because most of the small retailers won't stop, and Freud really won't make them.

Steel prices are really up

From what I've heard and bought lately I'd say that anything that has metal in it will probably skyrocket on prices. 6 weeks ago I bought some 1/2 rebar for concrete form stakes for my shop addition and a ten foot stick was $7.00. Previous it was $2.10.
    And I just got back from my local sheet metal shop where I'm having the connection fittings made for my new Blower from H*ll. Guy there said his sheet stock had went up three times in two months. Wow.
    Steve