Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Curly Cherry Tin Cabinet Finished W/Pics (long)

Nice job Jason!

Jason,
    Just wanted to tell you how blown away I was by this cabinet! The construction is just beautiful as well as the fine, no....excellant job you've done on the finish!

Like everyone has been saying, this should definately be featured in FWW's Gallery!
    Dominic Greco

John you always do beautiful work and this is no exception. Thanks for sharing with us.
    "If you can't fix it, feature it."
    Kevin Swindle

Jason - this is most impressive!!!! As a lurker here, I read and view all the great projects and am always impressed but there is something special about this cabinet to me. I just love the wood selection and grain matching. The different appearance of the cherry in horizontal and vertical are wonderful. The attention to detail is obvious. I can only dream of achieving your level of craftsmanship. When I attempt to do detail items - drilling holes for pinning, router cut dovetails, etc - I always end up getting some blowout and ruining a piece. There are no visable flaws at all in your piece.The attention to detail even in the back shot showing the molding is truly impressive.
    MOST EXCELLENT!!!!!

And Thank You SMC for collecting so many talented woodworkers who so willingly share their talents, ideas, pictures and help.
    Pete

You guys blow me away...

Wow, like I said, here I sit in New Zealand after all the planning for this trip, I'm searching through the back logs, and trip on all these posts you guys recently made.

Major sorry for not responding!!!

Update: I sent in some photo's to FWW magazine to see if they would print it. Stay tuned...

Matthew, do a search under "brand" and you can see what I do to my pieces as of late regarding this issue.

Arnie, as for worship, couldn't agree more!

Peter, as for lack of mistakes, couldn't disagree more, but I'm not telling where to look

To everyone else, thanks again for all the comments! You guys are very generous, even over a post I made so long ago!

Jason

Jason getting in on this thread a little late but....your work is OUTSTANDING! Your attention to the detail shows!! I love your joint handling and the exposed
    at the top. You should be proud!! As we are to have you on this forum. Jerry

OK, so I keep coming back to the pics of your cabinet. I just had to log in and say --------- UNBELIEVABLE----------. nuff said.
    Enjoy the journey,

Martin

---------------
    Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable --- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy --- think about such things. --- Paul of Tarsus

A well deserved honor Jason! Looking at your cabinet again, I’m still in awe!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thumbs up

Jason I don't know how I missed it when you first posted it but WOW thats some fine work!!
    Jim

Wow, Jason.... that cabinet is absolutely incredible!!! You are a mighty fine craftsman, indeed. I'm not sure if the 06-09-2004 date on the posts is correct, but if you are coming to Calgary this week, the weather is mighty nice these days....... as far as fall weather in Canada goes, anyways! What church you going to in Calgary? (I'm about 5h northeast of there)
    christine

Nice work! With a little practice you'll be able to build mobile benches for miter saws!! *Sigh* I have such a long way to go...

By the way, my wife loved it too--she wanted me to build her one!! I just laughed, but then quickly took it as an opportunity to suggest that I go out and buy $500 worth of clamps. Suddenly she didn't need one right away. Oh well.

Hi all,

At the risk of reviving an old post, I've gotta say that this cabinet is one of the finest examples of fine furniture that I've ever seen. So much so that I've gone out and sourced some American Cherry (quite expensive here!) with an idea to have a go at a shaker cabinet myself.

I've been interested in wood working only for the last few years and only built a few small pieces (hall table etc..) but this cabinet just blew me away. The proportions, attention to detail and grain is amazing. Even though there are many other 'showy' pieces this one stands out for all the right reasons - I guess that is the Shaker ideal and Jason, you've certainly got it right.

Thanks Jason for this fine piece and the inspiration - if my humble attempt at a shaker cabinet can get anywhere near this I'll be a very happy sawdust maker

Great example of precision casework.

The chimney cupboard is gorgeous. The fit on the doors is right on. There is nothing nicer that flush doors laying in a cupboard with nice margins. Isn't it amazing how such a simple piece can look so elegant when the casework is very precise and the finish is outstanding.

Ron

Jason, nothing new here that hasn't been said - I just want to add my compliments. I think your craftsmanship is fantastic, but as important is your eye for proportion and balance. Really a great piece. I noticed the lovely birdseye drawer in the night stand beside the bed. Is this a recent piece?

Regards
    Hans

I may be wrong, but I do believe that this piece actually made its way into the pages of Fine Woodworking. Guys....is that correct?

- Keith

Keith,
    You're right - issue 182, the one with the pie safe on the cover. That's how someone like me in Australia got to see it.