Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Curly Cherry Tin Cabinet Finished W/Pics (long)

Curly Cherry Tin Cabinet Finished W/Pics (long)

Between the funeral of my grandfather this week and many weddings the last number of weekends, life at church has been quite busy. Next week I'll be in Calgary all week so I thought I’d better post the finished pics of the cabinet while I have a chance.

The cabinet is 99.9% done. I have to make the shelves yet and change out the steel screws in the hinges for their brass ones. But here are several pictures to show you what it looks like finished, almost anyway.

The finish is a few coats of BLO, followed by 7 hours of fun in the sun. After that, I applied a home brew of high gloss poly, BLO, and mineral spirits. It's put on and let to sit for ten minutes or so and then whipped off with a clean rag. I really like the look of the finish. Just the right amount of sheen for this one. I'll add some wax later to give it a bit more protection. Also, I should note that I sanded all the external surfaces, except for the back, up to 600 grit.

I used leather bumpers for the doors that a local tack shop generously gave me for free. They were a bit too thick to put on the cabinet, so I recessed them in the doors.

The knobs in most of the pics are temps that I had laying around. Sat. I got my custom crafted knobs from Jim Becker. (You're great Jim, thanks a ton! They work perfectly!!!) I ended up using external spinners for this project. I decided that any other method would weaken the joint too much so I went with this option. The spinner works perfectly! The two dowels you see act as stops for the spinners.

I tried my best to match up the wood. If you look at the two doors, you can see that the top rail of the bottom door and the bottom rail of the top door are cut from the same piece with grain matching. I tried this with the stiles as well, but I didn't have enough good wood left to use the same piece for both doors so just “imagine” the grain matching up perfectly. I did manage to cut the molding from one piece for continuous grain. Also, the side molding is held on with sliding walnut dovetails.

The hinges are the extruded "precision" brass hinges from Horton Brasses.

I think that should be about it. I'll try to answer whatever questions you have, but I've gone on ad nosium already.

Thanks for viewing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

P.S. Thanks everyone for all the major help on this one. You guys have been great!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Most Excellent indeed!
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Nice work Jason, Excellent attention to detail!
    Tony

Jason, I may have said it before, but I'm going to say it again. You do FANTASTIC work! Hey, if you ever leave the ministry (Heaven forbid - literally!), and wanna move to Texas, I have a bench waiting for you!!

I've been studying my Shaker books. One characteristic of the Shaker pieces was how they pinned their mortise & tenon joints on door frames. The finer furniture pieces would get two pins each, and the utility grade pieces would only get one. So, you forgot one at each joint!

I use the exact same hinges from Horton Brasses. However, I have them chemically treat mine to make them black. They are GREAT hinges.

I like how you tenoned your panels to be flush on both sides of the door, and how you left just enough of a reveal to separate them from the frames. I also like the unembellished base - no feet, no plinth - it just kind of ends at the floor.

What did you do to keep the panels lighter that the rest of the case? Did you use "sunblock" on the panels?!

Thanks for posting! Todd

All I can say, well what can I say,
    Fantastic work
    Steve

Jason,

Very nice all around. Gorgeous wood and finish.

Bob
    bob m

Todd, thanks for exceedingly kind comments. As much as I love woodworking, nothing is more satisfying than the ministry - just as you suspected. Today I preached at my grandfather's funeral, what else can I say? I wouldn't trade that moment for a hundred Tall Cabinets. So the bench, no thank you. But how 'bout a seat at the picnic table? Pastor's love inviting themselves over for ham buns and potato salad

Now, as for the SPF 12, I planed the panels last, so I think the wood isn't as dark yet. I don't know if it matters, but all the rest of the cherry is from right here in Indiana at a local mill. The panels are from a board out of PA. I don't know if that matters or not.

My single peg is more of a Becksvoort thing than anything else. I suppose I could make something up about the characteristics of wood movement, but I don't know that to be the case. But I really like the way that sounds...

Thanks again.

Jason, outstanding work. Looks heavenly. Lars

Excellence is par, anything less is unacceptable!

Jason,

Just beautiful!!!

I have been waiting to see these pics, and they were worth the wait.

If you weren't already a minister, I should think CHB would be looking over his shoulder, as you are gaining on him very, very quickly.

Outstanding, simply beautiful and exemplary work!!

I don't like ham, but you are welcome at my house for dinner whenever you are in town.

Any chance you could post another pic of the wall cupboard unit? Like maybe a straight on shot?

Also, I like the way the walnut looks...the matching knobs and pegs are a really nice detail.
    Last edited by Martin Shupe; 06-09-2004 at 12:50 AM.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

IMHO when it comes to furniture nothing is more beautiful that a piece of Shaker that has been built correctly. You have without question built this correctly. Just like listening to Taylor on CD makes me want to pick up a guitar, these shots make me want to stay in the shop and keep trying.

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

Beautiful

ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL ! ! ! !

Thumbs up Wow

Exceptional! It is amazing to see how a fine craftsman can take what is essentially a very basic form, and with attention to detail can elevate the piece to a work of art. I love it!

As others have said, it gives me encouragement to keep trying.

One more vote for super excellent
    18th century nut --- Carl

Talking

Sweeeeeeeeet!!!
    Gary
    Bluegrass - Finger Pickin Good!