Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cherry buffet - new guy to SMC

Cherry buffet - new guy to SMC

I am new to this site and these forums. I stumbled into SMC entirely by accident while looking for a hardware source. I was impressed with the knowledgeable responses and your supportive and helpful membership. I decided to join to learn what I can and to contribute in instances where my thoughts might add some value. Having been a woodworker for a fairly long time, I’ve built a number of furniture pieces over the years and have even completed a large project now and then.

Most recently I lost my job as a result of a merger and have had more free time than I ever thought I needed. But for years I wanted to build the Cherry buffet on the cover of the Robert Yoder book Cabinetry, (1992, Rodale Press), and I capitalized on the available time to do it in a couple months of about half-time work. The time required explains why an unemployed IT guy shouldn’t plan to make a living building furniture! I have attached a couple of photos.

The construction is faithful to the plan in the book. I used OSB core Cherry plywood (new to me) for the sides and Birch plywood for the interior parts of the carcase and back. The top, doors, moldings and face trim are solid Cherry. The finish is General Finishes Antique Cherry stain followed by a shellac wash coat, and several coats of GF satin or semi-gloss oil/poly wipe-on finish, all sanded with 400-600 grit between coats. Hardest parts? Squaring the large carcase, milling and mitering the feet. The next challenge is to get it up the basement stairs… I will be looking for a plan for a table and chairs that would complement this piece and would welcome your ideas. As a “new guy” I look forward to interesting and informative discussions on the forums.

-CJS
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "You're never a complete failure - you can always be used as a bad example."

Thats a real nice job. Love cherry! The finish looks very clean as well.

Welcome to the Creek Charles~! Thanks for sharing your beautiful buffet.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

thats 'new guy' work? damn.

Very, Very, Very Nice!
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Nice intro, we love to see others work! Beautiful craftsmanship on the buffet.
    Welcome to SMC
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Charles -

Very nice work on the buffet...... Welcome to the Creek. A great place to hang out and exchange ideas and advice.

Regards,
    Ted

I agree, very nice. I think the style you chose is very elegant and I I can't find any fault with the execution.

Nice! Great finish too. Cherry is so fulfilling to work with. In a year or two the color will be richer and even more spectacular.

Nicely done Charles, and welcome to the creek. Hope the job situation improves for you, although then we would not be blessed with pics of your fine work!!

Outstanding craftsmanship Charles. The Cherry plywood worked well and looks great with the finish that you used. Ron

Welcome to SMC, Charles...and that's a beautiful buffet!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Excellent reproduction, Charles.. I cannot see the ply side very well in those photo's so.... how well does it match the beautiful face grain and trim? Looks good as far as I can see.. but was curious as I work with little ply and just wondered if I decide to use the cherry ply down the road?

Again... extremely well done...

Sarge..

Welcome to the creek. That is an absolutely fantastic piece- well done.

Wow Charles, that's an impressive introduction. Welcome to Sawmill Creek. I hope your job situation improves, but I also hope to see more of your woodworking projects as well.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps